WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State loses to No. 7 Louisville

Freshman guard Jill Morrison dribbles the ball past an Oakland City defender Oct. 30 at Worthen Arena. Morrison placed six three-pointers in two games during the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas over the weekend. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State leaders

Points – Jill Morrison – 17

Rebounds – Nathalie Fontaine – 6

Assists – Brandy Woody – 3

Final score: Ball State 67, Louisville 105

Ball State fell to 3-6 in a loss to No. 7 Louisville tonight.

First half

Louisville took charge early in the first half, as it opened a 22-2 lead over Ball State. Though Ball State was able to string together some runs in the first, most noticeably the eight-straight points freshman Jill Morrison scored, Louisville held a 31-point advantage by the end of the first.

Louisville forward Sara Hammond led all scorers with 11 points at the break. The visiting Cardinals tallied 16 assists on 25 field goals, but the most impressive aspect of the team’s play was defense. In the first half, an aggressive trap scheme forced Ball State into 14 turnovers.

First half stats:

Field goal percentage: Ball State 36.5 percent, Louisville 67.6 percent
Rebounds: Ball State 16, Louisville 20
Turnovers: Ball State 14, Louisville 6

Second half

Sophomore Taylor Miller saw a large chunk of her 12 minutes in the second. It was her most time on the court since returning from an injury suffered last season. She scored seven points on 2-for-3 shooting.

Freshman center Renee Bennett scored all of her seven points in the second half, though they came mostly after Ball State had fallen behind by as much as 40 points.

Louisville continued to control the pace in the second half as it forced Ball State into 21 total turnovers in the game.

Game stats:
Field goal percentage: Ball State 41.7 percent, Louisville 59.7 percent
Rebounds: Ball State 27, Louisville 42
Turnovers: Ball State 21, Louisville 13

Full story to come