WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State goes 1-1 at South Point Shootout

Sophomore guard Nathalie Fontaine goes up for a basket against Pittsburgh on Nov. 14 at Worthen Arena. Fontaine had 11 total points. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming Schedule

Saturday vs. Western Kentucky at 2 p.m. in Muncie

Dec. 14 at Wyoming at 4 p.m. in Laramie, Wyo.

Dec. 17 vs. Louisville at 7 p.m. in Muncie

Dec. 21 at Northern Kentucky at 2:30 p.m. in Highland Heights, Ky.

Dec. 29 at IPFW at 4:30 p.m. in Fort Wayne, Ind.

After splitting a pair of games at the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas, the Ball State women’s basketball team holds a 2-4 record on the season. Ball State fell to Auburn on Friday and bounced back Saturday with a victory over Tennessee Tech.

Turnovers plagued the Cardinals in a 51-67 loss to the Tigers. With six each from Nathalie Fontaine, Brandy Woody and Brittany Carter, the team committed 29 turnovers as a whole.

It was the third game this season in which Ball State has committed at least 20 turnovers. The Cardinals have averaged 20.3 turnovers per game this season.

Auburn took advantage in the first half as the team jumped out to a 35-19 lead. The tigers shot 50 percent from the floor in the first period, but Ball State was able to fight back in the second.

The Cardinals opened the second half with a 13–8 run to narrow the Tigers’ lead to 11 points. Ball State improved its shooting in the second period, going 9-for-23 from the floor.

Both teams went on to score 32 in the second half, resulting in a 51-67 final score favoring Auburn. Freshman guard Jill Morrison finished the game shooting 50 percent from three-point range and 5-of-9 from the floor.

Her ability to hit open shots will be key moving forward to Saturday’s home game against Western Kentucky. The Cardinals have shot 32.8 percent from deep as a team this season, while opponents have shot 36.6 percent.

Morrison and Carter combined for six three-pointers in Saturday’s win over Tennessee Tech. In the two weekend games combined, Morrison saw six deep balls of her own fall.

Ball State was able to limit its turnovers to just 10 in the win, and finished with 12 team assists. Woody led the Cardinals with eight assists on the night, and leads the team with 21 on the season.

The Cardinals outrebounded the Golden Eagles 46–35 as the team muscled its way to a 76–64 victory. Four players, including freshman Renee Bennett, finished the game in double-digit scoring, and all but two on the team scored.

Fontaine led the team in a third-consecutive game with 16 points. The sophomore has averaged 16.5 points per game this season.