MEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State loses to Southern Illinois, falls to 2-7

Assistant men's basketball coach Billy Wright swaps high fives with his team during Ball State's Basketball Fan Jam 2013. DN PHOTO REBEKAH FLOYD

Ball State Leaders

Points – Zavier Turner (15)

Rebounds – Majok Majok (8)

Assists – Zavier Turner (3)

*Ball State fell to 2-7 in a 66-58 loss
*Game featured 19 lead changes, 11 ties
*Ball State’s sixth consecutive loss

Ball State hoped to end a five-game losing streak on the road against Southern Illinois today.

That was not the case as the Salukis escaped from the Cardinals late in the second half to win 66-58. Ball State went scoreless from the field in the final 5:01. A pair of Mark Alstork free throws reduced a Saluki lead to 58-57 with 3:53 to play.

From there, it went downhill for the Cardinals as the team committed two turnovers and four fouls, which ultimately put the game out of reach.

Once again, freshman Zavier Turner led the Cardinals with 15 points. He finished the game with three assists while shooting 50 percent from the floor. Senior forward Chris Bond and freshman Alstork each chipped in 10 a piece.

The Cardinals ended the first half with the momentum on the team’s side as Turner gained one of his three assists on a sophomore Bo Calhoun buzzer-beating layup.

In a game that featured 19 lead changes and 11 ties, neither head coach wanted to lose. Both teams came into Saturday with two wins. Southern Illinois head coach Barry Hinson was featured on ESPN’s Sports Center for criticizing his players after a Dec. 18 loss to Murray State. Hinson later apologized to his players for the comments.

Ball State shot 47.7 percent (21-44) from the field – an improvement from the team’s loss to Marquette – but turnovers still haunted the team. The Cardinals committed 21 total turnovers.

Ball State started the game with three turnovers from senior forward Tyler Koch. Moments later, Calhoun subbed in for all-conference center Majok Majok and picked up two fouls within 20 seconds.

Ball State continues to lack an inside scoring presence. The Salukis held the Cardinals to 18 points inside the painted area all while scoring 40 inside. A big reason for that was the 2-3 zone defense that Hinson employed in the second half.

Ball State dropped to 2-7 on the season with two non-conference games left. The team travels to Harrisonburg, Va., to face James Madison to close out the year.

The next home game is Jan. 3 against Oakland City.