WOMEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING: Ball State falls to Miami University

Members of Ball State women's swimming and diving team cheer on fellow teammate senior Bridgette Ruehl in the 200-yard breaststroke against Miami University on Nov. 8 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State women’s swimming and diving team was back in action tonight, as the Cardinals welcomed the RedHawks from Miami University for a Mid-American Conference showdown at the Lewellen Aquatic Center.

The Cardinals fell to its conference foe by a final of 125-173, but head coach Kristy Castillo said she’s still proud of the way her team competed.

“It’s definitely a stronger schedule for us this year, so we are just trying to race the best we can,” she said. “We are still seeing season best times, and we are still seeing some lifetime best times. When we are seeing lifetime best times, you can’t argue with that.”

Ball State opened the meet by winning the 200-medley relay due to seniors Mallory Miles, Haley Richter and Bridgette Ruehl as well as junior Carlena Magley, posting a finishing time of 1:46.69.

Ruehl continued her dominating start to the year by posting wins in the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes. Ruehl has not lost a race in either event in this season, and she had no intention of dropping one.

“I came off of last year having a really good season,” she said. “I think I was almost undefeated last year, too, and I just really want to step it up this year and do my best.”

The Cardinals’ other three victories came from Richter in the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly, as well as finishing the dual meet with a win in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Although the loss dropped the Cardinals to 0-4 on the season, team captain Richter still feels that the team is still carrying a good vibe.

“I think we look at it more as individual races more than the whole meet, win or lose,” she said. “We pick out the positives from each meet and that is what we talk about at the end in our meetings. If you just pick out the wins and losses, you will never learn anything.”

Ball State’s next meet is the Doug Coers Invitational on Nov. 22-23 at the Lewellen Aquatic Center.