SGA to discuss Indiana gay marriage ban

<p>Those in favor still hopeful as mariage ban moves to general assembly soon </p>

Those in favor still hopeful as mariage ban moves to general assembly soon

Student Government Association may hear the first reading of a resolution to decide SGA’s stance on House Joint Resolution 6, Indiana’s proposed amendment to ban same-sex marriage in the state constitution.

The SGA Agenda Committee, which meets before its Senate at 3:15 p.m., must first vote to put the reading on the agenda.

University Senate will take a vote on whether or not they support HJR 6 Nov. 14. This vote will serve as a recommendation to the university.

If the resolution passes, SGA will use student opinion to decide its recommended stance on HJR 6 and introduce it to the university

Provost Terry King encouraged SGA to vote on legislation so its recommendation can go along with the recommendation of University Senate.

SGA resolutions must be read twice before they can be passed, so if SGA wants to send a recommendation to University Senate, the resolution must be read first today and passed Nov. 13.

At midnight today, the proposed resolution had 20 sponsors.

“The first reading is to raise awareness,” SGA pro tempore Jack Hesser said. “Students should talk to people in SGA to voice their opinion.”

A link to a survey asking students their opinions on HJR 6 was posted on the SGA Facebook page before it was immediately taken down at the request of the executive board Wednesday.

Hesser said executive board members thought because people who are not Ball State students could take the survey, it was not the best way to solicit feedback.

Student senators are currently soliciting the survey on their Facebook pages.

At midnight today, the survey had received around 80 responses, 60 against the resolution and 20 for the resolution.

Hesser thinks SGA will receive more feedback on this resolution than they do for normal resolutions, because this could potentially have an impact beyond Ball State.

“I think senators will be very passionate about this, good or bad,” Hesser said. “It is very personal to people. Students will be more inclined to voice their opinion.”