SGA executive board calls Greek Life Co-Sponsorship Bill ‘unconstitutional’

Some rules for SGA co-sponsorship

-Any organization applying for funds must be an official university organization.

-The event must be hosted within the boundaries of Ball State campus.

-Applications must demonstrate a benefit for Ball State students.

-Events must be free of charge.

Not funded by co-sponsorship

-Non-student generated programs

-Club sport organizations

-Charitable contributions

-Events including alcohol

-Apparel

-Speaking fees for speakers without a social security number or taxpayer identification number

Members of Student Government Association will vote today on a bill for Greek Life co-sponsorship that executive board members have called “unconstitutional” as it is currently written.

The bill, which was first introduced during the SGA meeting Oct. 16, calls to allocate $6,000 for Greek Life organizations in future SGA budgets.

Treasurer Kevin Mullaney said the co-sponsorship committee has written recommendations for changes to the bill because it does not adhere to SGA co-sponsorship guidelines.

“We like the idea, but they are asking about getting the money in the wrong way,” he said.

The bill says the greek community needs more money to “continue successful recruitment of Ball State students,” implying if the bill is passed, the money would go toward greek recruitment.

According to SGA Co-Sponsorship Guidelines, funding for apparel and events involving alcoholic beverages or charitable contributions will not be granted co-sponsorship approval.

During the first reading of the bill, Jacob Cash and Jonathan Wolfschlag, the authors and SGA senators, said Greek Life needs to have this money to help with recruiting, especially for any new chapters that want to open on Ball State’s campus.

“Typically, [SGA] sets aside around $4,000 for the Big Four [multicultural organizations], whereas we have a higher population,” Cash said Oct. 16. “We would like to have it in writing so we can definitely have that amount, if not more.”

The Black Student Association, the Asian American Student Association, the Latino Student Union and Spectrum each receive a separate guarantee of $1,000 from SGA for co-sponsorship funds.

Mullaney said this has not been passed as an SGA law, but it was started by last year’s executive board and the current one wanted to include it in the budget. Future executive boards are not required to continue the $4,000 designation.

The money is not deposited directly into each group’s account. However, the groups must still apply for approval for each event.

Mullaney said SGA has sponsored many greek events in the past, such as the McKinley Mile, Greek Week and many speaker events. Greek Life typically receives between $6,000-$7,000 in co-sponsorship money each year.

“Greek Life is not 100 percent of campus,” he said. “We sponsor events. We’re not here to sponsor recruitment [or] academic resources just for greeks. We sponsor events when they come to us that are open to the public.”

Vice President Alyssa France said the “long-term, worst-case scenario,” would be the bill passing in the SGA Senate, potentially being vetoed by President Chloe Anagnos and overturned by a 2/3rds vote in the SGA Senate.

If all of that were to happen, France said, the executive board would file a case with the judiciary board that states the bill is unconstitutional. Such a report would take a few months to be processed.