POP CULTURE CATCH UP: Eccentric Miley Cyrus brings floating animated cat to AMA’s

Erin Gladieux is a junior telecommunications and journalism major and writes ‘Pop Culture Catch Up’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the paper. Write to Erin at engladieux@bsu.edu

This year’s American Music Awards were pretty standard until Justin Timberlake went on stage and gave his best imitation of Rihanna’s mom. The “20/20” singer did his best Barbados accent saying how proud Rihanna’s mom is of “‘da icon she is.”

From there, Miley Cyrus sang in front of a giant cat head in space and R. Kelly and Lady Gaga played telephone.

Pitbull, the show’s host, did say this was “the night anything could happen,” and he did not disappoint. With antics such as Lady Gaga riding in on a human horse, this year’s AMA’s will make headlines for days.

Katy Perry opened up the 41st American Music Awards with her latest single “Unconditionally” dressed as a Geisha, and she smashed it. The “Prism” singer went in a different direction from her slow motion, glamorous music video and donned a Japanese-inspired outfit.

Florida Georgia Line and Nelly performed their single and the biggest country hit of all time, “Cruise,” but they stole the show when the country duo took on the Nelly’s hit “Ride Wit Me.”

Other performances included One Direction, Ariana Grande, Pitbull and Ke$ha,

But the biggest showstopper of the night had to be Miley Cyrus. She had millions of eyes glued to the TV with her cat-inspired rendition of “Wrecking Ball.” What looked like a 90s web browser, a picture of a cat was the focus of the performance. At one point the cat even cried diamonds. This is likely to become a talked about show that might just top her infamous Video Music Award performance.

Taylor Swift closed the night by winning the biggest honor of the night, Artist of the Year.

“I’m really out of breath with that ‘Wrecking Ball’ thing,” she said as she walked on stage.

Some may boo the fact Taylor Swift won the biggest award of the night, but her latest album “Red” sold 1.21 million in its first week, making it the biggest sales week since 2002.

This year’s big winner was “20/20” singer Justin Timberlake, taking home three AMA’s and each acceptance speech was funnier than the last. He jokingly told the audience to “shut up” after he won Favorite Male Soul/R&B Artist.

Luke Bryan was all smiles as he sang his hit “That’s My Kind Of Night.” Bryan looked flashy wearing a sparkly suit as he took home Favorite Male Country Artist. He also thanked his wife for letting him “shake it” while on the road.

This year’s AMAs were pretty spot on with the deserving winners. Performances did not disappoint, and no cats were harmed during the making of the show.