FOOTBALL: Garrett improved for senior year

Seniors Jeffery Garrett and Kenneth Lee prepare to tackle a Western Michigan player on Oct. 19 at Waldo Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

In a year when many seniors suffer from senioritis, where laziness takes over and slacking becomes common, Jeff Garrett has done the opposite.

The cornerback entered the 2013 season with 33 games played and one interception. He has five in the last 10 games, which is tied for first in the Mid-American Conference.

“I watch a lot more film than I usually do,” he said. “Anytime I’m free from class or before practice, I’ll come in and watch film.

“I’ll watch the players and receivers. I’ll study the offense and ask coaches what their tendencies are.”

Garrett said watching film helps him get into the positions to make plays.

This season, he’s been in the right position a lot of times, leading his team in interceptions.

Interceptions aren’t always proof of a cornerback’s success, though. If a player gets thrown at on every play, odds are he’ll have a lot of interceptions.

“I think he’s been lucky a little bit,” Ball State defensive coordinator Jay Bateman said. “The one against Kent State got tipped up to him. The pick against Army was a good play. The pick last week was a great play. … A lot of his [interceptions] have been him making plays on the ball.”

Garrett had interceptions against Army, the University of Virginia, Kent State University, the University of Akron and Central Michigan University.

He said his attitude hasn’t changed for the season, and Bateman agreed.

“He has a great demeanor for a corner,“ Bateman said. “You’re going to get beat sometimes. He just goes back in the next play.”

Garrett said he’s been focused more on the details of his craft this season.

Head coach Pete Lembo credited the fact that Garrett has been in the same system for multiple seasons.

“Last year was sort of an up-and-down year for him,” he said. “I really like the way he’s approached his senior year. … He’s become very dedicated, and it’s paid off.“

Bateman said when Garrett arrived at Ball State, he had multiple players in the secondary who were upperclassmen. He let those players “have their turn.”

“When Jeff first got here, it was very obvious he had a lot of ability,” Bateman said. “He’s worked harder this year, he’s a little more focused.”

Garrett came into the 2013 season with the goal of six interceptions.

So far, he’s one short of his goal.

Against Northern Illinois University on Wednesday, he has another chance to hit that total.