FOOTBALL: Ball State’s offense comes up big as Ball State upsets Virginia 48-27

Freshman safety Dae'Shaun Hurley dives for a pass on Oct. 5 during the game against the University of Virginia. Ball State won 48-27. PHOTO PROVIDED BY MARSHALL BRONFIN AND THE CAVALIER DAILY

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. – The Ball State football team came into Saturday’s game against the University of Virginia an underdog against the country’s eighth-ranked defense.

It left with a three-touchdown margin of victory as the Cardinals upset the Cavaliers, 48-27.

“We were licking our chops early on,” quarterback Keith Wenning said. “The stuff they were doing, we knew if the offensive line held up we would get some big plays.”

Wenning finished 23-of-41 for 346 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions against Virginia’s pass defense, which was ranked eighth in the country coming into the game.

In the fourth quarter, Wenning threw a 72-yard touchdown to sophomore Jordan Williams. The pass gave Wenning the all-time record for passing yards in Ball State history.

To open the game, Ball State went three-and-out on its first drive, something it hadn’t done all season. After giving up a field goal, it scored on its second drive as running back Jahwan Edwards scored on a three-yard touchdown.

Virginia responded with a three-yard touchdown of its own by running back Kevin Parks. The Cavaliers scored another touchdown as quarterback David Watford scrambled 27 yards and dove for the pylon. The officials reviewed it, but it was determined to be a touchdown as Virginia extended its lead, 17-7.

The 10-point margin would prove to be the biggest lead of the game for the Cavaliers.

Trent Toothman, a sophomore linebacker, came into the game with five total tackles this season and eight for his career.

He started at middle linebacker against the Cavaliers’ offense as Ben Ingle, a starter all season and the team’s leading tackler, missed the game due to an injury. Toothman finished with three total tackles in the game.

Also missing the game was linebacker Chris Calloway.

Ball State defensive end Jonathan Newsome had two sacks in the game. One sack came on a fourth down with 10 minutes left in the game when Ball State had a 14-point lead.

“The strength of their defense, I think, is their defensive line,” Wenning said. “Our offensive line played their butts off. I’m so proud of those guys. They gave me enough time to pick them apart a little bit, create some big plays with the running game and the passing game. Game ball should go to those guys.”

Edwards scored three touchdowns in the game for the third straight game. He was consistently shaking off arm tackles and fighting through diving attempts.

Edwards is now the all-time leader in touchdowns rushing in Ball State history.

At times, Wenning had trouble throwing over Virginia’s defensive line. A number of passes was knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

The average size of the four starters on Virginia’s defensive line were 6-foot-4, 271 pounds.

Virginia committed 13 penalties for 93 yards, and had two touchdowns called back due to penalties. The late penalties showed Virginia’s lack of discipline as many were late hits and personal fouls. Ball State had just one penalty for 15 yards –roughing the kicker penalty on an extra point.

“That gets back to a lifestyle,” head coach Pete Lembo said. “They’re starting to live it, 24/7. Think about how well they’re doing academically. Think about how they’re handling themselves socially on campus. Those are the things that turn in performances like this.”

When asked what he would’ve said had somebody told him Ball State would score 48 points against Virginia, Wenning said, “I wouldn’t have been surprised. I’m confident in our offense and confident in our team.”