State Budget Committee OKs Ball State Projects

Rep. Sue Errington announced Friday that the State Budget Committee approved Ball State to spend $38 million on campus improvement projects.

The largest chunk of the funding is slated to go toward an overhaul of the campus utility system and other projects include improvements to the football and baseball facilities, according to a press release.

Bernie Hannon, associate vice president of business affairs and assistant treasurer, said the committee approved three Ball State projects, one of which uses state dollars.

Completion of the final phase in the geothermal heating and cooling project was approved for $30 million in state funding dollars when the general assembly authorized the appropriation in April. It was then passed in the budget bill and this past week was the third and final step in the funding process, approval by the committee.

“It is wonderful news and we are very grateful,” Hannon said. “The fact the authorization comes right now is perfect timing because we are ready right now to start phase two this fall [and now we have the funds.]”

Hannon said the $30 million comes from state funds and will be used to replace the 70-year-old four coal-fired boilers.

“This geothermal system will end the use of coal for fuel on the Ball State campus, cut the university’s carbon footprint in half and save up to $2 million a year in energy costs,” Errington said in a press release.

Five million dollars will be spent on a renovation of Ball State’s ballpark complex and $3.7 million will go toward the construction of a new football team meeting complex, according to the press release.

Hannon said this money has been privately raised as part of the Cardinal Commitment athletic fundraising campaign, and it does not use student tuition or tax dollars.

Even though the money was privately raised, the university was still required to have the spending approved by the State Budget Committee.

“This is a case where even though we are funding the project, the state still has to approve the spending through the state budget committee,” Hannon said. “They didn’t give us any money. We have authority to proceed, and we are in the process of raising the money to proceed.”

Errington said in her press release that she is pleased when the state supports projects that improve the experience of a university.

“The improvements approved today will make campus facilities more energy-efficient and help support extracurricular activities that are an important part of university life,” she said.