Indiana politician gives view on Syria

Unified Student Media

The United States’ stance on Syria remains uncertain, however an Indiana politician said he is considering supporting military action.

Shortly after Congressman Luke Messer’s address with the community, alongside Ball State President Jo Ann Gora, about the newly slated Congressional Academy, Messer moved from the stateside to the national front during an interview with Unified Student Media on the upcoming vote with Syria. 

Messer, who has been an opponent of President Barack Obama’s foreign policy, confirmed he is considering voting yes on the proposal. 

“If the vote were held today, I would vote yes,” Messer said. “Frankly, there is no more somber responsibility as a member of Congress than the responsibility to determine whether we should send men and women into combat.”

For Messer, the situation was stressed after a trip to Israel in August with other members of Congress.

Messer met with Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who emphasized the need for U.S. commitment in keeping Iran’s nuclear weapons ambitions suppressed.

Messer said he saw the connection clearly.

“There is no question that Syria is a direct client of Iran,” he said.

Those ties are what Messer said he believes is a reason for the U.S. to involve itself with Syria.

“If we do not enforce our red line against Syria on chemical weapons, I believe it will be even harder to enforce red lines against Iran, who is undoubtedly racing toward nuclear weapons,” Messer said.

Another member of Indiana’s congressional district remains skeptical about the nations interests in the region.  

The Indianapolis Star reported Sen. Dan Coats, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has asked for more input from his constituents back home and from the president’s administration on a long-term strategy before making a decision.

Messer, who has stood by the president in seeking congressional approval, said a “swift, strong and targeted strike” should be the goal during the vote. However, he said, after the vote is held, the president should abide by the congressional decision.

“There may be legal arguments that he was not required to seek our consent, but he has now sought it,” he said. “I believe that if he does not abide by Congress’ decision, it will create a constitutional crisis.”

Congress will head to a vote on action in Syria within the next two weeks.

Unified Student Media contributed to this story.