Former vice president takes presidency of Ball State SGA

Chloe Anagnos, president of the Student Government Association, recites her oath along with SGA adviser Jennifer Jones-Hall on Wednesday in Cardinal Hall B. Anagnos, the former vice president, is replacing former president Malachi Randolph, who resigned on Sept. 4. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

One week after the resignation of former Student Government Association president Malachi Randolph, Chloe Anagnos was formally inducted as the new president.

“I feel really good,” Anagnos said. “Today is a good day.”

SGA adviser Jennifer Jones-Hall said she is excited for Anagnos to begin working as president.

“I feel fabulous, fantastic,” Jones-Hall said. “Chloe is going to do a phenomenal job.”

Randolph resigned following derogatory tweets toward Asian people. Anagnos said she has forgiven him.

“I’m more upset that this all happened,” she said. “Obviously I was always taught to be a forgiving person. I said, ‘I understand, we’re going to work to make it better and I’ll see you when you get back.’... We’re pretty close.”

Alyssa France was also inducted as vice president, and she said she is ready to “realize her collegiate dream.”

She said the biggest difference between the original members of the executive board and herself is her four years of SGA experience.

She worked as the board’s campaign manager when they ran for elections last year, which she said gives her a close working relationship with the group.

Following the inductions were nominations for SGA Senate president pro-tempore. Three senators were nominated: Jack Hesser, Jason Pickell and Bryan Kubel.

Elections are open to anyone and will take place at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday at the SGA Senate meeting in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Hall B.

France, the former pro-tempore, said she has spoken privately with all the nominees and said they are all very qualified. She said she will work to help them keep the platform they promised.

Despite the transition period, Anagnos said she has been working over the past week to repair relationships that may have been damaged after the insensitive tweets.

“I haven’t stopped since [Randolph resigned],” Anagnos said. “I just did stacks of apology letters.”

The letters were sent to university faculty. She has also been sending emails to the presidents of student organizations asking what she can do to fix any issues.

Response has been appreciative, she said.

Anagnos said she plans to have spaghetti dinners for student organization executive boards so they can talk and learn more about each other’s needs.

Next Anagnos said she is ready to begin working on her board’s platform points.

She also said there will be several special projects her platform has worked on, such as a project with the Campus Cyber Council for the National Cyber Security Awareness Month of October.

Anagnos said during her platform’s elections, several people asked why their platform points were so vague. She said they were intentionally vague in order to allow her platform to work on special projects that organizations bring to SGA.

She said at the current rate, they will complete all of the platform’s points in December or January to give her executive slate time to work on more special projects.