FOOTBALL: Williams stays patient while growing at Ball State

Jordan Williams hands the ball off to a fellow player after Ball State seals the victory in the fourth quarter against Army on Sept. 7. Williams continues to make the most of his opportunities with the first team. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

It was just another opportunity.

As sophomore wide receiver Jordan Williams jumped up to make the contested 30-yard catch in practice, one thing was on his mind: capitalize.

“I wanted that one,” Williams said. “You only get so many opportunities, so when the ball is in the air, you’ve got to go get it. You don’t want to give a defensive back a chance at stopping the play.”

He was unable to reel in the high-flying pass, but the 6-foot-2 receiver said he’ll get the next one. Improving in practice is Williams’ main focus, and he has plenty of time on the field to do so.

Though he only runs with the first team for a handful of formations, he lines up for almost every snap with the second team.

“It’s good because I get more reps,” Williams said. “More chances to get better. I just try to take advantage of it.”

Junior receiver Willie Snead matured in a similar fashion last season. He forfeited first-team repetitions in practice to then-junior Jack Tomlinson.

Tomlinson has since parted ways with the team, while Snead has become a mainstay for the offense. He leads Ball State with 14 receptions and 228 yards through two games this year.

“It brings you along,” Snead said of practicing with the first and second teams. “It just gives you the reps you need, and I know Jordan has been benefiting from those reps.”

Williams played in eight games last season, but failed to register a single reception. Due to extra reps or not, his 10 catches in 2013 are a huge improvement, and second on the team only to Snead.

His 141 yards and one touchdown show that he’s been a big target. Senior quarterback Keith Wenning said Williams’ size makes throwing windows easier to hit. Receivers KeVonn Mabon, Connor Ryan, Snead and Jamill Smith are listed at 6-foot-3, 6-foot-1, 5-foot-11 and 5-foot-8. Williams, at 216 pounds, outweighs all four receivers with at least one catch this season.

“He brings a new element to the receivers,” Wenning said. “When you have somebody with his size on the outside, and you can bring Willie and Jamill into the slot, plus Connor and KeVonn. ... You’ve got too many guys to cover, so it makes it that much more difficult for defenses.”

Wenning has had plenty of places to throw the football this season. He’s completed 47 passes for 665 yards and two touchdowns, leading Ball State to its first 2-0 start since 2008. The team’s 91 points after two games are the most in school history.

“I think we’ve got one of the best corps in the country,” Williams said. “We work in the summer, and stay out here running routes. There’s people I can talk to — quarterbacks, wide receivers, running backs — our team is like a big family.”

Williams said his teammates give him advice in practice every day. Adding something to a route, or learning how to read a defense are common topics of discussion.

Mentoring goes beyond the field as well. Snead said he makes an effort to lend advice about social and academic life.

“I always stay close with him and make sure he can talk to me,” Snead said. “That trust is always there, he can talk to me and I can talk to him, about anything.”

As he continues to build relationships with teammates and coaches, Williams is getting more opportunities on game day. As he well knows, those only come so often.

Whether it’s in this week’s game at North Texas or in a Tuesday practice, Williams’ mindset remains the same.

“I’ve been getting certain plays to come in on, and I’m just trying to capitalize on them,” he said. “Each game I’ve grown, so this week I’m just hoping to get better in practice — the game is the easy part.”