CROP Hunger Walk raises almost $12,000

The official first day of fall began with the two-mile CROP Hunger Walk to take a stand against hunger.

On Sunday afternoon, the Riverside United Methodist Church hosted 125 walkers of all ages to participate in the fundraiser that accumulated nearly $12,000. This year for the first time, Ball State’s student group Circle K was involved in cleaning the route of the walk and also put down the footsteps indicating where to make turns.

“We try to get as many groups and organizations involved as we can, so that we can have everyone come together to fight hunger both locally and internationally,” said Sue Stover, coordinator of the Muncie CROP Hunger Walk. “There’s not a lot of walks where you can do both.” Indiana residents have a history of being involved in this organization long before it turned into a walk.

According to the Church World Service Inc. website, CROP started as the Christian Rural Overseas Program and began in the 1940s when Midwest farmers donated crops, such as corn, to those in need.

Church World Service is the main sponsor of the hunger education and fundraising events across the U.S., especially in Muncie.

Twenty-five percent of the funds from Sunday’s walk will directly benefit the community through food pantries and other local organizations.

Right next door, Indianapolis has the sixth largest CROP Hunger Walk in the country and raised $93,500 in 2012, according to its website. The Indianapolis walk is Oct. 20.

“We walk because they walk,” is the phrase that the CROP Hunger Walk stands for, and CWS aims to raise money to create easier access for food and water through the walks.

“I really want to get youth and college students involved,” said John Dolon, Indiana and Kentucky CWS regional director. “When I came [to Muncie], the outreach done wasn’t really happening and I really want to strength that.”