Better Way Foundation hosts walk for suicide, assault prevention

More than two hundred Muncie residents spent their Saturday morning participating in the 5K walk held by A Better Way foundation.

This non-profit organization aids those in need of services in cases of domestic violence, sexual assault, and suicide crisis.

Representatives from A Better Way have previously spoken to Ball State students about these important issues.

They aim to get across the message of speaking up and educating those who may be in a harmful situation.

Sororities on campus, especially, have shown their support in the cause by donating to the organization.

Tracey Bemis-Smiley, the Victim Advocate for A Better Way, said she hopes the organization will provide Ball State students with the education to distinguish the difference between a healthy and unhealthy relationship.

“We help so many woman and children who have been in domestic violence situations and you don’t realize how it impacts the lives of so many [women],” said Finance Director, Sandy King.

Participants can pledge money that helps fund the organization. King hoped the efforts of the participants today raised around $10,000.

“We have a few other fundraisers that we do, but we are trying to make this walk our biggest fundraiser of the year,” Bemis-Smiley said. “It’s growing slowly every year and hopefully will continue to grow and be the only fundraiser we have to do.”

The East Central Indiana Suicide Prevention Coalition was present at the walk promoting events for National Suicide Prevention Week beginning Monday, September 7th.

Domestic violence victims have a high rate of suicidal thoughts, which tie the two organizations together.

The staff at A Better Way are trained in doing suicide intervention through the 800-273-TALK lifeline.

Bemis-Smiley said most people in domestic violence situations will leave 6 or 7 times before they leave for good.

She offered one example of a time A Better Way had helped a woman in need.

“Working with us, and getting her connected to a good mental health provider and giving her support, she built her self-esteem and became empowered - she became strong enough to be able to get out of that relationship permanently,” Bemis-Smiley said. “If you saw her or talked to her you would not realize that she had gone through so much trauma in the past.”

Anyone interested in getting involved with this organization can get information at the Student Volunteer Services on campus.