Ball State SGA senate elects new pro-tempore

The Student Government Association new pro-tempore will focus on ensuring student’s voices are heard as his top priority, he said after winning the Senate election Wednesday.

Jack Hesser, a sophomore microbiology and botany major, ran against Bryan Kubel, a sophomore political science major.

Alyssa France, SGA vice president, said Hesser will function as a mentor and teacher. Hesser replaced France, who moved up to vice president as Chloe Anagnos became president after Malachi Randolph resigned earlier this month.

Hesser said the main thing he wants to focus on in his new role is to make sure the senators he helps actively represent their constituents.

“I want to encourage [the senators] to meet with their students,” He said. “Those 50 people in that room are representing thousands of students outside it.”

Hesser’s platform is about looking to “improve Senate relationships, get out to students and work on administrative aspects.”

Hesser said after talking to students, writing legislation is the best way for the SGA Senate to enact long standing change on the university.

“I think that legislation is such an incredible tool to make their constituents’ voices heard,” Hesser said.

He said one tool he uses to collect student’s advice or critiques is SGA’s survey, “Got Probs?”

So far this year, the survey has already received three times the responses it did last year, Hesser said.

Nearly half the responses brought up university dining.

He said last week, there were around seven comments from vegans and vegetarians looking for more options. Hesser said he has a meeting scheduled with Jon Lewis, director of Dining Services.

Another change he said SGA is looking at is making Blue Loop, a busing route that covers the northeast side of campus, into a year-round route.

Hesser said he is ready to take on his new position and work with senators to affect change.

“I’m just really excited to take on the position and face some unique challenges,” he said.

Jason Pickell, a sophomore political science major, originally ran for the position, but released Tuesday on Twitter, and confirmed Wednesday, that he had dropped out of the race. He said he was worried about being unable to fulfill the time commitment.

“I didn’t want to let anyone down if I didn’t end up having the time,” Pickell said.

At this week’s Senate meeting, one new senator also was accepted and 11 senators were added to committees.