Ball State professor releases report about concealed carry on campus

Jagdish Khubchandani, an assistant community health education professor, released a report saying 78 percent of students across Midwestern college campuses oppose allowing concealed handguns.

“I know that in recent years this is becoming a serious issue in schools across the country,” Khubchandani said.

Khubchandani, who is also a member of Ball State’s Global Health Institute, has conducted research in the area of violence protection.

“Firearm morbidity and mortality are major public health problems that significantly impact our society,” he said.

More than 1,600 undergraduate students were surveyed from 15 different Midwestern colleges.

The report is titled “Student Perceptions and Practices Regarding Carrying Concealed Handguns on University Campuses” and was published in the Journal of American College Health. Khubchandani has been working on the report for 18 months.

According to the report, most students believed allowing concealed weapons could increase the rate of suicide and homicide. In addition, half of students surveyed are not aware of whether their university had a policy about firearms on campus.

Executive director of public relations Joan Todd said Khubchandani would know the university’s stance. He said said Ball State administration has not commented on his study thus far, but he has received reactions from students and friends. He said, “[the] majority believed there should not be guns on campus, but some have disagreed.”

Khubchandani said Ball State students were not surveyed in this study.

However, some Ball State students weighed in on the report and the controversial issue.

“I believe students should be allowed to defend themselves,” said Myah Reeve, a sophomore criminal justice major. “I don’t feel the sample size in the report is big enough to accurately portray student perspectives. A bigger sample size is needed for this big of an issue.”

Jason Conerly, a freshman magazine journalism major, stands with the 78 percent opposing concealed handguns.

“I don’t feel like we need to carry firearms, especially with all the police presence; it would be overkill,” he said. “I feel safe in the dorms and campus feels secure.”

Sophomore nursing major Calvin Goddard said he trusts trained police and officials to handle firearms correctly.

“There is nothing wrong with a little bit of trained security, but students should not be carrying guns around,” Goddard said.