Pence to travel to Japan for overseas trade mission

Gov. Mike Pence will make his first overseas trade mission to Japan in September, the state announced Monday in a news release.

The trip will include state business leaders and other elected officials and is Sept. 5-14.

“From leading automotive manufacturers to their diverse array of suppliers, Japan’s top companies have found homes across all corners of the Hoosier State,” Pence said. “Our administration aims to continue to nurture and grow the strong bond between Indiana and Japan that dates back nearly 100 years and has led to more than 42,000 Hoosier jobs in recent years. I look forward to renewing our commitment to Japan, opening doors for new investment and jobs in Indiana and telling the story of Indiana as a state that works in America.”

The trip is entirely paid for by private donations to the Indiana Economic Development Foundation, according to the news release. The IEDC projects it has created almost 10,500 jobs with Japanese companies since 2005.

Japan is Indiana’s fifth largest export country in the world, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Trade Database. The state hosts three of the largest Japanese automotive manufactures, Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

Indiana’s economic progress has dampened after news of July revenues came in 6.5 percent lower than last year and 1.4 percent lower than the state’s projections.