FOOTBALL: Newsome ready to make a name for Ball State defense

Few Ball State football players come as transfers from large, nationally-known programs. Even fewer make the splash that Jonathan Newsome did last year in his first year of eligibility for the Cardinals after transferring from Ohio State.

After a two-game suspension to open the 2012 season, the senior All-MAC Second Team defensive end led the team with 8.5 sacks. Now, with a year under his belt, he’s ready to do even more damage to MAC quarterbacks.

Newsome said the main difference between coming into last season and this season doesn’t have a lot to do with what happens on the field. 

“I’m a little bit smarter, as far as the playbook,” Newsome said. “I know the plays now. Everything’s not so new to me.”

His position coach, Chad Wilt, said Newsome has done his work in the film room, leading to better results on the field.

“I think [Jonathan] has developed some time into studying how to be a better pass rusher,” Wilt said. “Last year was a little bit on talent. He understands techniques and offensive linemen’s sets a little better. Last year, he could’ve had a couple more [sacks] if he had been a little bit more disciplined.”

With another year under his belt, Newsome has taken on a leadership role with the team. 

“Being a veteran guy, I’m trying to help the younger guys,” Newsome said. “Instead of learning I’m helping the younger guys come along.”

Newsome named senior defensive tackle Nate Ollie as somebody else on the defensive line who will help take some pressure off him when rushing the passer.

Ollie had 8.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss over the last two seasons, and earned All-MAC Third-Team honors for the 2012 season. 

“I think everybody on the line helps me out because you can’t just worry about me, you have to worry about the other guys, too,” Newsome said.

Wilt said junior Nick Miles has developed into a better pass rusher. He said Miles has become someone who “teams can’t just look away from.”

With the graduation of linebacker Travis Freeman, Newsome and Ollie may be the defense’s most well-known players.

Wilt called the growing popularity of Ball State’s defensive line “a blessing and a curse.”

“It’s good that those guys had some production and some success and the accolades,” he said. “On the flip side, that means you also expect something. When you talk about those expectations, it means they have something to live up to. They’re certainly capable of it.”

Newsome doesn’t mind quarterback Keith Wenning and the rest of the returning offensive starters receiving a lot of preseason hype.

“They’re my teammates, I want them to get recognition,” Newsome said. “As a defense, we have to just make a name for ourselves.”

In 2012, Ball State was ranked 93rd in the NCAA in both passing yards allowed per game and sacks, despite Newsome’s best efforts. The key to solving both problems could be an even better Newsome in 2013.

“Especially at the end of last year, I think we got better,” Newsome said. “All you can go off is end of the year stats but if you look at season progression, we were getting off the field a lot with three-and-outs.”

Counting the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl at the end of the season, Ball State’s defense endured 162 drives from its opponents. The defense forced 36 three-and-outs (forced a punt after three offensive plays) throughout the season, for an average of 22.2 percent.

Half of those three-and-outs came in the first six games in the season, including one game in particular when Ball State forced five three-and-outs against Kent State. The other half came against the final seven games of the season. 

Ball State forced zero three-and-outs twice in the season, early against South Florida and in the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl against Central Florida.

The expectations are high for Ball State in 2013, and Newsome and his team aren’t oblivious to them. 

“I can’t say we don’t think about it. It’s hard not to think about it,” Newsome said. “Especially when it’s all you’re seeing in the paper. We’re getting a lot of love.

“We appreciate it. It’s good. But that doesn’t mean anything heading into this year. It’s a new year. A new slate.”