FOOTBALL: Lembo comments on 3 things you need to know before Thursday's game

Three things to know before Ball State’s game Thursday against Illinois State

1. Guard Jordan Hansel might not play

Hansel is listed as questionable with a knee injury. The senior is the lone returning player for head coach Pete Lembo’s offensive line and is counted on for a leadership role in 2013. If Hansel can’t play, junior P.J. Scott is listed as his primary backup. 

Lembo’s Take: “We’ll continue to evaluate Jordan Hansel and try to get him in game shape and ready to go. We’ll see where he’s at when Thursday rolls around.”

2. A freshman will start at strong tackle

Freshman Steven Bell was embattled in a competition with fellow former redshirt and freshman Drake Miller for the starting strong tackle. Bell won out and will start Thursday.

Lembo’s Take: “Certainly, if you had more numbers in your junior and senior class, you’d like to have a guy like Steve that maybe would be a backup now to get ready in a year. That’s not the position we’re in. But he’s played well in the spring and the preseason. ... If I know Steve, he’ll be pretty even-keeled Thursday night.”

3. Illinois State’s quarterback has big-game experience

Jared Barnett is a transfer from Iowa State and was the starting quarterback for the Cyclones the past two seasons. He was the starter in two upset wins in 2011, against No. 20 Texas Tech and No. 2 Oklahoma State. In those two wins, Barnett threw for 520 yards and four touchdowns.

Lembo’s Take: “How [Illinois State] is going to use him remains to be seen.”