FOOTBALL: Challenges face football team in preparations for season-opener

Jamill Smith is just trying to stay calm.

The senior wide receiver has played in 35 games throughout his career, but he still gets just as hyped before games, no matter the opponent. 

“It’s a different mind set since it’s my last year,” Smith said. “I could be out going crazy, like fidgety.”

Looking at the schedule, Ball State will take the field against Illinois State, a team that went 9-4 in the Football Championship Subdivision. But Smith doesn’t see it that way.

“We play every game like it’s the No. 1 team in the nation, no matter who it is,” Smith said. 

Senior defensive end Jonathan Newsome agreed with Smith’s comments. 

“We never look past anybody – FCS, DIII, high school,” Newsome said.

Smith missed time in Spring Practice while recovering from foot surgery. 

“I’ve been ready [for the season] since my foot got back,” he said.

The Redbirds have lost many of last year’s top statistical performers, including a quarterback, running back and wide receiver. 

Replacing the quarterback will be Iowa State transfer Jared Barnett. 

I’m pretty sure he’ll open up their offense a little bit more,” Newsome said. “They’ll probably do some different things. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing we haven’t prepared for.”

Barnett was the quarterback for the Cyclones when they beat No. 20 Texas Tech and No. 2 Oklahoma State. At the time, Oklahoma State was 10-0, with National Title hopes.

It’s also Newsome’s final year with the team.

“You just know every day is your last,” Newsome said. “Time is going by fast. You can’t just come [to practice]. You have to come out with a purpose.”

Instead of preparing for Illinois State players that were sitting on the bench last year, Ball State has been preparing for the system they will be moving into.

In his weekly press conference, head coach Pete Lembo said Illinois State plays variations of both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. He added that the Redbirds play a mix of zone and man coverage. 

One place that the difference between the FBS and the FCS could show up is in special teams. FBS teams are allowed by the NCAA to give 22 more scholarships out to players, the top-of-the-roster players are still on scholarship, but the bottom-of-the-roster players aren’t. On most rosters, the backups are the ones running down kickoffs and trying to block extra points. 

However, Ball State has its own special teams questions. The Cardinals will be starting redshirt junior Scott Secor as kicker and redshirt freshman Kyle Schmidt as punter tonight. 

Despite the outcome, Smith will be on edge until kickoff.

“I’m trying to just be cool and calm,” Smith said. “I could’ve been crazy like two months ago.”