Student member of Board of Trustees starts two-year stint

Kyle Pierce, a sophomore political science and pre-law major, started on July 1 as the student member of the Board of Trustees. After a being nominated by the university, he was formally appointed to the position by Gov. Mike Pence on June 28.

“The students named... to our state universities’ board of trustees represent some Indiana’s best and brightest,” Pence said. “Their insights, experience and guidance, coupled with those of their fellow trustees, will further enrich higher education in Indiana and will benefit each state university accordingly throughout the duration of their terms.”

Pierce took some time to talk to the Daily News about his appointment and the path that led him there:

Q: What was your first day like?

A: Actually today I didn’t really do anything with it being the week of the Fourth. We’re waiting until next week to start all the meetings with the heads of the university. However, over the next few weeks I’ll be meeting with the university leaders and President [Jo Ann] Gora.

Q: What was the process that you had to go through to be chosen for this position?

A: It started in February. I turned in an application and it had an interview with a committee of six students, juniors and seniors. From there, they recommend I think three or four students to move on. I met with Dr. [Kay] Bales, vice president of student affairs. After I met with her, I met with Dr. Gora, and after I met with President Gora, I met with Ben Evans who works in the Governor Pence’s office.

Q: What was your motivation for wanting this position?

A: Both of my parents went to Ball State and I’ve been active in the Ball State community ever since I was 6 or 7 years old. I remember coming up here for football games and basketball games, and I’ve always felt a connection to [the] university. When the opportunity came up to support the university on a larger scale I decided I wanted to go after it and see if I could help.

Q: What kind of qualifications were required for this position?

A: The written rules were you had to have, I believe, a 2.7 GPA, be a full-time student and be able to be a student for the next two years, a two-year term. Those are the written rules. Besides that, there’s a lot of emphasis on being well-thought on the whole process of the university and understanding how the university works. That wasn’t an actual rule, it was just basically whoever they thought was most prepared to tackle big issues.

Q: What was your first reaction when you heard that you had been appointed?

A: I was extremely excited. I don’t know how to put it, but very excited that I’m going to take the next two years to help shape the Ball State atmosphere and the whole university.

Q: What will your duties entail?

A: Mainly there’s meetings every other month and with them, any issues that come up to the board. Those can be issues from the smoking ban to the admission requirements. Any large issue goes through the Board of Trustees and with that, we do a lot of research on every single topic.

Q: How much have you worked with the administration before?

A: Last year I was very involved in student government as a university senator. I got to work with issues with dining and student affairs and transportation. They were interactive with those.

Q: Have you met the student that was your predecessor?

A: Michael Miller, yes. I talked with him briefly over the first few months of the process. Not in great depth, but we were able to have short conversations about the duties and what it takes to be a trustee.

Q: What kind of advice did he give you?

A: Basically he made me make sure that I’m not acting as a representative for the students, but a member of the board who happens to be a student. I can’t just get focused on issues that only impact students, because in my position I’ll be making decisions that will impact the entire university.

Q: What are you most looking forward to with this position?

A: Just the opportunity to help the university the next few years. I think we’re in a good spot at the university and being able to pay my small part and just helping the university stay on top.

Q: Are there any issues in particular that you’re looking forward to working on?

A: Academic rigor is an issue that is very important to me. We have a university that strives for excellence in all its courses. We’re a university that when people hear ‘Ball State,’ there’s a recognition of ‘Oh, the students that go to that university are taking classes that demand great thought and great understanding.’ That will help every student from here on out when you have a university that is known for being so rigorous.

Q: What would you like to say to students about your role and what you do for them?

A: I’m always open to having conversations with students. It may be about certain issues or their view on certain issues. Having open communication of why I vote one way or why I have this view on this issue, while at the same time hearing why they have their view on certain issues. Basically just having an open conversation and having an open environment.