Five Dollar Pet Adoption Weekend increases adoption

Elijah Fowler pets an adoptable dog at the Muncie Animal Shelter on Friday. Fowler and his parents were among the many families who came to the shelter in the hopes of adopting an animal for $5.  DN PHOTO KRYSTAL BYERS
Elijah Fowler pets an adoptable dog at the Muncie Animal Shelter on Friday. Fowler and his parents were among the many families who came to the shelter in the hopes of adopting an animal for $5. DN PHOTO KRYSTAL BYERS

More than 100 happy cats and dogs found homes this weekend after being adopted for $5 at the Muncie Animal Shelter’s first annual Pet-A-Palooza.

Phil Peckinpaugh, superintendent of the shelter, said the shelter hosted the event to get more animals into good homes.  

“We get so full with animals here and it’s really hard to find homes,” Peckinpaugh said. “The alternative is euthanasia so a lot of shelters across the country had events similar to this that have been really successful.”

The Muncie animal shelter took in approximately 3,800 animals last year and had about 742 adoptions. In the two days of the event, 103 animals were adopted.

Anyone over 18 could adopt an animal Friday and Saturday.  Every adoption was $5 and included micro-chipping, current vaccinations, a pre-wellness exam at a participating vets, spay/neuter voucher at a participating vets and an in-home consultation with animal trainer Jim Turner.

This is the first time the Muncie Animal Shelter has hosted the annual Pet-a-Palooza adoption. For cats and dogs, males usally cost $65 and females cost $75. 

“I would really like to come in Monday morning and most of these guys be in good homes,” Peckinpaugh said.

Muncie residents Gabby Clark and Danyeal Fullhart adopted a pit bull named Roxie Friday. Clark said she has found many people are hesitant to adopt pit bulls.  

“I have been wanting a pit bull, I think it’s the owners I don’t think it’s the dog,” Clark said. “That boy said earlier that he was scared of them because one attacked him. That dog was probably a stray and mad and probably wanted food. I hate that people do that.”

Clark and Fullhart spent the day playing with the shelter dogs in the kennel and instantly fell in love with their golden-haired pit bull.

“I think it’s good that they are doing [the event], I think that they are just trying to get everybody to a good home,” Clark said. “I am glad we got here, they are having puppies [Saturday] but we didn’t want to wait for her [Roxie],”