Fireworks, music will be available in Muncie for Independence Day

Blue, white and red fireworks are shot off in the sky above Muncie Central High School for last year’s annual firework show. The firework show in Downtown Muncie is one of several in the area.  DN FILE PHOTO RJ RICKER
Blue, white and red fireworks are shot off in the sky above Muncie Central High School for last year’s annual firework show. The firework show in Downtown Muncie is one of several in the area. DN FILE PHOTO RJ RICKER

Those staying in Muncie without plans for the Fourth of July need not worry- here is everything you need to know for a successful Independence Day.

SHOWS

Minnetrista will hold regular business hours the entire day. Free music and fireworks will be available at their Summer Stage Fest featuring America’s Hometown band at 8 p.m.

Yorktown will host its third Four for the Fourth on Saturday at 8 a.m. Participants need to preregister with a $20 entry fee for the four-mile race that raises awareness for trail systems in Yorktown, according to their website. 

Live music, food and games will follow the race, and fireworks will begin at dusk.

LAWS

Fireworks are a necessity for the Fourth of July, but keep an eye on the laws Indiana has regarding them and the penalties for breaking them.

Fireworks may only be sold to people 18 years old or older and may only be used by children in the presence of an adult, according to in.gov.

Indiana law also states that fireworks may only be used from 9 a.m. to midnight on the Fourth and from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on other days. They may only be used on the user’s property, the property of a consenting owner or a special discharge location designated by the State Fire Marshal.

PENALTIES

A person using fireworks outside of the times or areas specified above commits a class C infraction and can be fined $500 per infraction.

A person younger than 18 years old who possesses or uses a firework without an adult present commits a class C infraction and can be fined $500 per infraction.