Comedy show fundraiser to raise money for Cornerstone

A comedian and Muncie native is returning to the Cornerstone Center for the Arts to raise money for the nonprofit venue’s programming and events. 

Mikey Mason will headline the stand-up comedy show fundraiser Friday at 8 p.m.,doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $8 in advance or $10 at the door.  

“First people need to laugh, they always need to laugh, and second Cornerstone does great work for the community, pure and simple,” Mason said. “They are a staple in the community. I almost said they’re a cornerstone in the community and I think that was their point when they were founded.”

Mason, who has been in comedy for 21 years, has headlined on all four coasts and performed in 33 states. He said he first got into comedy when he attended Ball State. 

After graduating, he lived in Muncie for 12 years before moving to Redkey, Ind. Mason said he comes back to Muncie occasionally and hopes people will come to the fundraiser.

“I’m a naughty cartoon character with a guitar,” he said. “I am the psycho stalker ex-boyfriend except you want to see me again. I am loud, rude and abrasive. I work out all my issues on stage. I’m a monster up there. I am me but the least and most likeable parts of me all at the same time.”

Mason’s humor includes some original songs,including “I hate your kids,” “Licky-Licky Night” and “Ode To A Single Mother of Two In The Apartment Next Door At 5:30 a.m.”  

Brett Ellison, director of rentals and events at Cornerstone, helped coordinate the comedy show.  

“This is the second time that he has done this for us and I know that last year he did a really good performance,” Ellison said. “He is definitely an original, definitely not something that anybody should miss.”

Mason hopes to continue returning to Muncie in the future as long as there is a demand for his comedy.

The show will contain mature content and is for ages 18 and older. Folly Moon will be providing a cash bar for those 21 and older.