Society to put on free show at Village business

A Muncie-based group will put on a free art show at The Cup that promises to provide “a silver lining to these 500 days of bummer” and help make people more aware of art in their everyday lives.

Starting Friday at 7 p.m. Glue and Scissors Society will redecorate the coffee shop that regularly hangs artwork on its walls, with its community-produced submissions that will remain on display for the entire month of June. 

“We’re trying to make people more aware of art in their everyday lives,” said Victoria Meldrum, a Ball State graduate and Retrospective Editor for the Glue and Scissors Society. “It’s there. Sometimes it’s in the form of graffiti, sometimes it’s in the form of posters and sometimes it’s just the beauty of the landscape.”  

Meldrum said the summer tends to be a balancing act when it comes to attracting an audience. There is an apparent lack of students overall.

Still, she is hopeful that by making the upcoming show, based around the theme “Life’s a Beach,” as “robust” as possible, students will make the trip out to The Cup. 

The artwork is not necessarily tied directly into the sandy beach theme that probably comes to mind, but rather the relaxed, free spirit of art that Meldrum said is encapsulated by the summer season. 

Dustin Royal is slated to be the featured artist in June’s show, and has already caused excitement among the Glue and Scissors staff. He first produces hand-drawn art, and then converts it to a digital format. 

Brandon Beeson, the society’s Community Art Manager, said he is looking forward to his work.  

“He does a lot of real interesting designs, and illustrations,” Beeson said. “ I’ve always liked what he’s done in the past, so I’m really excited to see what he can hang up now.”  

The after-party,hosted by Be Here Now, will help to set this event apart from other shows, as it incorporates a second element to the art, music.  

Coyote Armada, a folk band, and The Good Shame will headline the night’s set list scheduled to last from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. The music groups are chosen in attempt to follow suit with the theme of the art show. 

This is just another step that Glue and Scissors takes to put on the most inviting show possible. 

“We try and remove the pretentious side of art, you don’t have to be dressed, or behave a certain way to enjoy art,” Meldrum said. “You just have to be curious and have an open mind.” 

Meldrum said by providing a friendly environment in a comfortable place, the Glue and Scissors Society can help people appreciate the arts and engross themselves in an experience that they usually may not be able to. 

“I don’t think we would be doing this, if it wasn’t important,” she said. “Really, the challenge is just overcoming the barriers of people’s preconceived notions about art.”