Health Center provides for student needs

College is a time of little sleep, and after a few all-nighters those cold and flu symptoms will creep up. That’s why it is important to know where Ball State’s Student Health Center is.

“It’s good for people to know where we are and what our hours are before they get sick and really need us,” said Kent Bullis, medical director of the Health Center. 

The Health Center is on campus, open from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on weekdays, except Tuesday and Thursday, when it is open until 6:30 p.m.

There are four doctors and three nurse practitioners at the health center. Bullis said the Health Center has recently received permission to hire on another doctor, so they are hoping to have five doctors by Fall Semester.

It is comprised of a walk-in clinic, pharmacy, women’s center, health education center and physical therapy unit for students.

It is “basically free health care” said Suzanne Scheetz, a sophomore advertising and public relations major.  Scheetz said she has had an overall good experience with the health center.

The Health Center exists for students to get easy access to health care when they’re away from home.

“Don’t be afraid to use the Health Center” Scheetz said. “It’s different and not what you’re used to, but it’s helpful.”

Students can call and make appointments. The average wait time is normally a half hour to forty five minutes.

“One of the best times to come is first thing in the morning because it’s hard for students to get up and get rolling in the morning,” Bullis said. “Mondays are usually the busiest days, so if you can avoid Mondays, that’s a good thing.” 

On a normal day the Health Center sees around 180 patients. Bullis said students should bring prescription bottles and insurance information. 

The Health Center fee does not cover prescriptions, so having the insurance information ready is helpful. The Health Center also has its own pharmacy, but prescriptions can be taken to other pharmacies if that is more convenient. 

IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital is also close to campus and is another option for students. 

“If someone is having abdominal pain or trouble breathing [they should go to the hospital],” Bullis said. “We don’t carry the kind of narcotic prescriptions that someone with chronic pain would need, but most everything else we would have.”