Event continues to grow, provides athletes chance to improve health

Competitors finish the swimming portion of the Muncie June Triathlon. Participants had to swim the water portion of the course, which was 1.5 kilometers. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

A record amount of participants from 9 to 72 years old biked, ran and swam in the Muncie Triathlon on Saturday at the Prairie Creek Reservoir.

Registration for the event, hosted by Multi-Sport America, was up 20 percent from last year, with 300 participants crossing the finish line. 

The reservoir has been hosting the Iron Man competition for 33 years, making it one of the oldest venues in the world. 

President of Multi-Sport America Steve Tomboni said the event has transitioned into a mini get-away for competitors. Triathletes were able to stay for the weekend at Prairie Creek.

“This was fantastic, what we in the business now call event tourism. People go on vacation and take the weekend to do events,” he said.

Much like the age of competitors, the field of events was wide in variety. There were several age groups and distances within the triathlon and a separate 5k as well. 

Jacqui Carroll took her first victory as a triathlete on Saturday. The Indiana resident explained that her climb to the top hasn’t been easy. 

“I won my age division in the Olympic distance, and their slogan here is ‘life changing finishes’ and it’s true.” Carroll said. “My first race that I did, I finished in last place but it was so much fun, I immediately signed up for more.”

After injuring her leg four years ago, she took up swimming in place of running. As she recovered, she began to consider doing triathlons.

Endurance events turned out to be more than just an opportunity for competition; they helped her to lose 50 pounds and dramatically improve her health. 

Tomboni said participating in events like the Muncie Triathlon can give individuals a reason to stay healthy and keeps personal fitness a priority. 

“Focusing on events gets you prepared, improves your health and when you get to the finish line, you know what it’s all about,” he said. “The secret to staying fit is just to register for something.”

He said his advice to register doesn’t come purely from the perspective of a business owner. Tomboni, along with his wife and three of their four children, are triathletes. 

His children will participate in the “Muncie Tough Kids” event in July, where participants ages 4 through 14 will take to a course varying in length for different age groups.

“It’s the coolest, slickest thing you’ve ever seen in your life,” Tomboni said. “They run 100 yards from the transition to the finish line, with a grin that’s bigger than them. And they’re smiling the whole way.”