Arrested Development out on parole soon

Will Arnett and Jason Bateman star in “Arrested Development.” The show is returning this Sunday after seven years with 13 episodes exclusive on Netflix. MCT PHOTO

If you’ve never seen “Arrested Development,” there are two issues with that. 

One: You’ve not seen “Arrested Development.”

Two: You’ve not seen “Arrested Development”!? 

You should address the issue right away. It’s easy to access, with all three seasons on Netflix for your viewing pleasure. If you start now, you should be all caught up on the story in time for 13 brand new episodes dropping Sunday on Netflix. Seven years after the last episode aired, another season will be dropping. 

The show is about a dysfunctional family and one son, the only sane member, trying to hold them together. The hilariousness comes from the sheer insanity of the members of this family and the people they keep around them. The humor can sometimes be a little subtle, which works when the characters take themselves way too seriously. If you had any other kind of humor, it would just come off as corny and not funny. 

A classic example of this is the character Tobias Funke. He is the husband of one of the members of the main family and is, well, an idiot. What’s better is that he is totally unaware that he is an idiot. Most of the time he is oblivious to how weird some of the stuff he says is. You can’t watch an episode without him saying something that is poorly worded and comes out awkward for everyone — except Tobias, he sees nothing wrong with how he is.

I’m only using Tobias as an example. Every person in the show has a character profile that is not only humorous, but relatable and eccentric. 

I think that is part of the draw of the show, the fact that there is something for everyone. The subtle humor and eccentric characters allow two people to watch the show and each pull something totally different from it.

It is for all these reason that I will be gladly attending the party on Sunday. Not only is it a great time with friends, all of whom will be in blue jean cutoffs, but it is a chance for us all enjoy something that we love. We may not laugh all at the same time, but we will still enjoy a classic show and eat frozen bananas and blueberry pie.