UPDATE: Three fire alarms not related

A Muncie firefighter leaves the Fine Arts Building and Museum of Art. A series false alarms around the Quad April 10 caused the department to respond to the area twice. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

UPDATE: The three campus false alarms that emergency officials responded to within five hours of each other Tuesday night were not related.

"It appears we had three alarms that turned out to be false alarms in three academic buildings last night," said Joan Todd, executive director of public relations.

Officers and the Muncie Fire department responded to the West Quad building at 9:06 p.m. for reports of possible natural gas odor. Todd said no odor was detected and no problem was found. After a short investigation, officials determined the smell likely came from a furnace that had just been lit, according to scanner traffic.

Five fire engines and two police cars surrounded the Fine Arts Building and Museum of Art at 10:14 p.m. when an alarm malfunctioned, Todd said. The smoke detector was replaced and officials allowed people to reenter the building around 11:30 p.m.

At 1:56 a.m., another alarm malfunctioned at the MEA complex and officials responded. The alarm was reset and emergency personal cleared the scene by 2:20 a.m.

"Because these are life-protecting devices, they are designed to indicate any changes that would require intervention so that they remain in working order," Todd said.

EARLIER: Emergency officials responded to three false fire alarms within five hours of each other on campus Tuesday night.

The first alarm was at the West Quad Building around 9:30 p.m. Officials rushed to the building after reports of a smoke odor permeating throughout the building. After a short investigation, officials determined the smell likely came from a furnace that had just been lit, according to scanner traffic.

Around 11 p.m., five fire engines and two police cars surrounded the Fine Arts Building and Museum of Art. One engine and another emergency vehicle were parked at the Scramble Light during the call. Officials said to disregard the call around 11:30 p.m., and people were then allowed to reenter the building.

At approximately 2:00 a.m., officials responded to a third alarm at Hargreaves Music Building. Emergency personel had cleared the scene by 2:20 a.m.

Officials said it was unclear if the events were related.