TOO YOUNG TO SLEEP: I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision

Indy CD and Vinyl record store in Broad Ripple will celebrate National Record Store day by having DJs play throughout the day on Saturday, April 20. Local shop Village Green Records will be discounting vinyl and have 9 different bands play. DN PHOTO C. MEAD JACKSON

The smells, the comfort, the memories.

Although a record store is undoubtedly a retailer of music, it has never solely been that to me. In fact, my local record store nearly feels like a second home.

Of all the memories I’ve had in Muncie, the greatest and most compelling ones have been related to Village Green Records.

As a freshman in college, vinyl was something I was interested in. I loved the fact that the music required attention — from the moment the needle hit the record, a music experience was inevitable. Not to mention how cool it was to have blown up versions of album art at my disposal.

VGR transformed my fascination with vinyl into an utter obsession. I soon became a regular at the shop, often spending an hour or more chatting with owner Travis Harvey about all sorts of artists, young and old. And time isn’t the only thing I’ve spent there. If I wouldn’t have dropped so much dough on records, maybe my bank account wouldn’t be in the somber state it is right now.

As the great James Murphy so eloquently said, “I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision for another five years of life.” 

I can wholeheartedly say that I wouldn’t trade away a single second I’ve spent in VGR, or a penny I’ve spent there, for that matter.

The store has not only been my second home. It has been the second home to so many other local musicians, artists, poets, writers, [insert other creative minds here]. Every record store event unites this group of free thinkers, whether it be an intimate poetry reading or a raging, sweaty punk show.

In my years as a music enthusiast, I’ve perused my fair share of record stores in towns all across the country. I will undoubtedly say, the best record stores I have been to are not only the ones with the best selection, but the ones that offer the most personal customer input.

I often think of record store workers as Pandora Radio or Spotify on steroids. While online apps such as those can guide you toward music similar to what you’re listening to, they are undoubtedly limited in their capabilities. And if you develop a relationship with your local record store workers, they can not only request new music to you, but seek out new artists that might tickle your inner music fancy.

As a youngster, I used to search through iTunes almost daily. I would often look into the artists they suggested to me, listening to samples of each. Never again will I do that now that I have a record store that I can look to for guidance. 

All in all, I believe a healthy record store is a must for any successful community. Not only does a record store give music lovers such as Travis a means to support themselves, but it unites a community of artists in a church-like sense.

I would not be the same man I am today without the upbringing I have received from my local record store.