Students to receive business advice from professional

Students will receive advice on how to appeal to future employers in a business leader’s lecture on professionalism. 

Brad Smith, the 2012 president of the Society of Actuaries, will speak tonight on the topic of professionalism. Business fraternity Gamma Iota Sigma is hosting the event. 

Smith is the Chairman of Milliman Corporation, a large actuarial consulting company. He served as the president of the Society of Actuaries in 2012 and has written a book on professionalism and has spoken internationally. 

Assistant professor of insurance Kevin Gatzlaff said it is not often a businessperson of such high caliber comes to speak at Ball State. 

“To get attention from someone that is the chairman of board of directors, we’ve had that happen before but it is a rare occurrence,“ he said. “It is a great opportunity as our students to talk to someone as high up as Brad Smith.”

Smith will discuss what companies are looking for in new hires, how to present oneself as a good candidate and how best to assimilate into corporate culture. 

President of Gamma Iota Sigma and junior actuarial science major Grant Steffen said the topic of professionalism is relevant to students outside of the his major. 

“He does work in insurance but I think [his message] applies to everyone in the work place,” he said. “He talks about are employers looking for and what sets people apart — Are they motivated and can they do the job well?” 

Excellence in Leadership has designated Smith’s talk as an alternate speaking engagement, and Gamma Iota Sigma has also reached out to the math department and Miller College of Business to attend. 

Steffen said Smith’s visit is important for the actuarial science department. 

“I think it really shows the pulling of our actuarial science program [to bring Smith to campus],” Steffen said. “It’s a big honor to have someone like that come and hopefully this will encourage more [speakers] to come in the future.”

The presentation will take place at 7:30 p.m. in Teachers College 101.