Reward outweighs risk for pot dealers in college

One student sells marijuana to a fellow student inside their home. Over an ounce of marijuana is a class D misdemeanor. DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION EMMA FLYNN

*Student names have been changed to protect their identities. 

Kevin* got involved in the world of pot six years ago as a freshman in high school. His parents wouldn’t let him spend the night at friends’ houses, which meant drinking was out of the question. He wasn’t too keen on it anyway. 

That left him with getting high. When his best friend suggested it, he figured “why not?” He would be able to get away with it a lot easier than drinking.

Pretty soon he was dabbling in selling, transporting weed down his high school hallway. In one instance, he hid it in a water bottle with coffee beans. 

“It was just the beginning of me selling weed,” Kevin said. “I was just a delivery boy. I got weed from this guy in the locker room, and I was going to give it to another guy in the other locker room.”

Society’s attitude toward smoking marijuana is becoming more relaxed, especially among Indiana college students. Over the past four years, the number of Indiana college students who smoke has increased from 25 percent to 34 percent, according to the Indiana College Substance Use Survey.

When it comes to image among peers, students show no real concern either. Seven percent said they thought other students would strongly disapprove if they tried pot once or twice. Nine percent said they would strongly disapprove if they smoked occasionally and 17 percent said their peers would strongly disapprove if they found out they smoked regularly.

Perhaps, this is why Kevin has had success in his business.

In the past two years since he started college, Kevin estimates he has earned more than $25,000 selling pot. That doesn’t include what he earned selling in high school. He said he wouldn’t even be able to estimate that since he doesn’t keep paper records.

His “records” instead come in the form of what he refers to as “glass” — his bongs, pipes and other paraphernalia that he’s bought over the years. At one point he had 17 bongs, all with the attachments. 

“There’s people in it for the money, and then there’s people who love weed,” Kevin said, clarifying the two main types of dealers.

Both he and his friend Sam* fall in the latter category. The former is what they refer to as a “trapper.” They’re the ones who will rip off customers, handing them half a gram when they paid for a full. 

“They’re like flippin’ weed to make money and buy cars,” Kevin said. He paused for a moment. “I guess I’m doing the same thing to buy bongs right now.”

But it’s different. Kevin’s interest in the business is genuine. 

“I like glass. Bongs. See that 1K pipe?” he said, pointing to a pipe he spent $1,000 on. “You don’t buy 1K pipes if you don’t have a passion for it.”

Sam is the same way. He sells to his friends to make extra cash to support his smoking habit, which began his last day of high school. 

“It’s my favorite activity,” he said. “It’s fun not just to get high, but it’s fun to smoke. I like my bongs. It’s so sociable. You can just talk and chill and do whatever.”

Sam keeps his business small, making at most $100 a week by selling mostly to his friends, many of whom get better deals because of it. The longer a dealer knows his customers, the more likely they are to get cheaper prices. 

Kevin’s customer base spreads a little wider. He sells to friends, friends of friends and people who come up to him in his classes. On average, he’s had 55 regular customers at one time. But when it comes to people who ask to buy from him at parties, he’s sold to nearly 200. 

“This year got a little hectic,” Kevin said. “That’s not how I like my business at all. But I’ve made a lot of money and can’t really complain.”

THE CHANGING KevinET

His high customer base was the reason Kevin got out of selling bud right before Spring Break. His popularity grew too wide for his comfort. Not only was he selling to friends, but also to other dealers. 

Over break he went to California, where he met up with a guy who makes BHO, or butane hash oil. 

The yellow, sap-like substance contains almost pure THC, no plant additives. It only takes a pinhead-sized amount to get high. 

Now, Kevin only deals oil, which is big out in California but still fairly new in the Midwest. 

Buy selling BHO, Kevin can make just as much money before with less the work. Right now he has two people who have given him $900 each for an ounce of BHO. He sends that to California, and the oil gets sent to him. Because it only costs him $600 an ounce, Kevin ends up receiving an ounce free, which he can continue to sell or smoke himself.

“I give them their share of what they paid for because they’re not getting the felony if they get caught,” he said as to why there’s such a high upcharge. 

THE RISK

It’s one thing to get caught smoking pot. In Indiana, carrying less than 30 grams is a misdemeanor and could result in up to one year in jail or a maximum fine of $5,000.

For first-time offenders, many are placed on supervised probation with community service and drug classes, which cost $400 for a year, according to Lonna Jordan, executive director of Delaware County community corrections.

If they’re caught dealing, they would be immediately arrested, said Bob Fey, University Police Department’s assistant chief of police. 

The penalty for dealing is a felony with up to three years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000. 

Despite current legislation being back and forth about decriminalizing possession, the stance on dealing hasn’t wavered; it’ll stay a felony.

Even though both Sam and Kevin are aware that what they’re doing is illegal, it doesn’t really faze them. They’ve both been stopped times by cops after smoking several, but neither have ever gotten caught.

“I don’t even worry about cops,” Kevin said. “I worry about people robbing me. I get stuff sent from California, and I don’t worry about cops.” 

Though Kevin hasn’t been robbed, he knows friends who have, two by the same person with a gun. That’s why Kevin has a strict policy against letting customers bring friends over that he doesn’t know.

But it can be difficult sometimes.

“As a dealer everyone approaches you. Your name gets out there, especially if you have good s--t,” he said. 

According to Sam, more rules to follow regarding selling weed can be found in the song “Ten Crack Commandments” by Biggie Smalls. Don’t front people cash. Don’t brag about how much you have on you. Don’t talk about your money.

“I know it’s way more insane because it’s crack, but it’s a good idea to follow at least most of those rules,” he said.

THE FUTURE

Sam has stayed up-to-date on changes in legislation regarding marijuana. Although he doesn’t plan on selling in the future, legalization would be beneficial so he could continue smoking. 

Kevin on the other hand, wants to get more involved in other aspects of the business by moving to a state where it’s legal and opening his own Grow Op. He has even considered starting to grow in his closet next year. 

But his ultimate dream is to combine his love for glass art and weed by opening up his own bong shop. 

Even if that’s not the case, he has no worries about how dealing and smoking now could affect his future later.

“I can get a job. I can sell myself. It’s all about being personable,” Kevin said. “Obviously I’m not hard-pressed with talking to people and setting up deals. As long as I have the degree, which is what I’m in school for, I feel like I can do whatever I want, whether that’s glass blowing, having my own glass shop or running an art gallery.”