Participants to get drenched in paint

Participants will be doused in paint as they run or walk across check points during what organizers have called, “the most colorful run on campus.”

Today is the last day to register for an event. All proceeds from Chase the Rainbow, presented by the Ball State Dietetic Association and Pre-Health Professionals Club, go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. 

“They put on a summer camp for kids with [muscular dystrophy] to be able to get away for a week,” said DeeAnna Woroscylo, president of the Pre-Health Professionals Club. “It’s free for the kids and all of the volunteers because of donations like ours.”

The 5K walk/run event will be intermittently broken up by stations where participants will be drenched in paint.

“It’s similar to a color run, at certain points paint is thrown so you get all sorts of colors on you,” Woroscylo said. 

Woroscylo said there are still about 200 spots left. 

Preregistration, which ends tonight at midnight on Facebook, costs $25 for Ball State students, faculty and staff, $30 for others. Those who preregister also receive a free, white, event T-shirt that is sure to end covered in paint. 

Those who are interested can register day of, without receiving a shirt for $5 more than the original price. 

“Of course we want as many people to show up and register as we can- the more people who run the better,” Woroscylo said.

Woroscylo said members of her group had heard students talking about other color themed running events that made her decide to use it for this event. 

“It’s fun and grabs the attention of students,” she said. “The fun, color aspect is something a lot of people were interested in.”

There have been several other color events although they have been off campus Woroscylo said, which is why she decided to hold this event at Bethel Field.

“We put it right on campus so students don’t have to go anywhere, which is really exciting for us,” she said.

Woroscylo said it is more about having fun and raising money than actually running. 

“More for the fun of getting colored — yeah there will be competitive runners, but no reason to feel ashamed to walk,” she said.

“We want everyone to have fun for such a worthy cause,” Woroscylo said. “Even if running isn’t your thing; walk, color and come have fun with your friends.”