Local quarterback learning roles at Ball State

Ball State quarterbacks Keith Wenning, left, and Ozzie Mann prepare to pass during practice on Friday. Mann attended Delta High School in Muncie. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

Getting to know Ozzie Mann is almost like getting to know two different people. 

On the field, the Ball State redshirt freshman quarterback is one of the more vocal players when taking his snaps. Off the field, however, he’s a quiet and softspoken 19-year-old. 

Those close to him would say Mann’s almost too quiet when he doesn’t have his jersey on. 

“He’s kind of quiet,” offensive coordinator Rich Skrosky said. “I don’t know if introvert is the right word, but he’s well-mannered.”

Keeping to himself doesn’t mean people don’t know him. Mann comes from Delta High School — a 20 minute drive to the north of Scheumann Stadium. To the Ball State coaches, he’s known as the guy that’s loyal to his family and his school.

Mann’s also preparing himself to compete for the starting job once senior Keith Wenning graduates after the 2013 season.

And he’s perfectly OK with that right now. 

FAMILY AND FOOTBALL

Mann was introduced to football at a young age. His father, Reece, played college football at Franklin College and hoped his son would also develop an interest in the sport.

He’d take his son to Ball State football games throughout his youth, hoping the interest would spur. 

“You don’t want to be the dad that forces something down his throat,” he said. “You want to make sure it’s something he enjoyed instead of me forcing it upon him.”

The interest in football did catch on and grew when Mann watched the Nate Davis-led Ball State team during the 2008 season. From being at the stadium during the games that season, his dream became to play for Ball State. 

“I always wanted to be out here,” Mann said. “I remember during the undefeated season coming here and the atmosphere was just awesome. It blew me away.”

Mann had a decorated career for Delta High School as a three-year starting quarterback. 

He finished with more than 5,000 passing yards and was an all-conference selection in each of his three seasons as a starter. His senior season, he threw 16 touchdowns and four interceptions. 

In his sophomore season, Mann threw for more than 2,500 yards compared to just 1,566 yards in his senior season. The quick reaction to the drop in passing yards would suggest his talent peaked his sophomore season. 

Zgunda said that isn’t the case.

“The bottom line is we didn’t throw the ball very much his senior year because we didn’t have the receivers to go along with him,” he said. “He was a lot better quarterback his senior year than his sophomore year even though his stats didn’t show it.”

His numbers and his play caught the attention of Ball State. During his junior season, Ball State became Mann’s first scholarship offer. He didn’t hesitate at the opportunity to play football close to home.  

“He’s close, tight-knit kind of guy that wants to be close to home,” hiss father said. “When Ball State made that offer early, he took his ties off other schools and made the 100 percent full-time commitment to Ball State football.”

Mann’s best ability at quarterback is his arm strength. Skrosky and his high school coach Grant Zgunda said his throwing ability is what made him a successful quarterback at Delta, even if the numbers didn’t exactly represent success.

“The biggest thing physically was how the ball exploded out of his hand,” Skrosky said. “A lot if kids when they release [the ball] doesn’t have that rotation that creates velocity.”

Even though most Hartford City students attend Blackford High School, there wasn’t any animosity toward him and his family when he attended Delta. After his commitment to Ball State, he received praise from the Delta and Hartford City communities.

“That speaks highly of not only to his character and what kind of a person he is, but speaks a lot for the Blackford, Muncie and Delta communities,” his father said.

REDSHIRT SEASON

With Wenning holding firm on the starting quarterback position, Mann was told he would redshirt his freshman season, but he almost saw playing time in an emergency situation. 

“During the recruiting process we’re really up front and honest,” Skrosky said. “The plan was Keith Wenning is our starter, Kelly Page is our backup.”

Late in the season, Wenning suffered an ankle injury that forced him to miss the season finale against Miami of Ohio. Page got the start, but was knocked out of the game after suffering a concussion. Ball State was forced to use third-string Kyle Kamman.

Fortunately for Skrosky and Ball State, the team didn’t have to turn to Mann, which would have meant removing his redshirt. 

“I think anybody in college football doesn’t have to get their fourth quarterback, it’s probably a sigh or relief,” Skrosky said. 

But not getting to play didn’t bother Mann. In fact, he said it was more beneficial for him to focus on the weight room and adjusting to Division-I football. 

“I got a lot stronger in the weight room and learned the offense,” Mann said. “Learning the offense was huge in the redshirt season.”

HOMEGROWN

The soonest Mann could realistically be a starting quarterback will be after Wenning graduates in 2014. He will expect to compete for the starting quarterback job the following season. 

Mann is too reserved to say he will be singled out when his time comes to be the starting quarterback at Ball State because he’s from the Muncie area. But the truth is, being the local quarterback playing for the area’s Division-I football team, he’s already well-known in Muncie. 

“Our area isn’t well-known for football players so it’s something the area prides in that there’s a local kid out there for Ball State,” Zgunda said. “The people that have a grasp on football know who Ozzie is and thinks he’ll do well.”

It could be unusual for someone with a quiet personality to have so much attention around him when he signed his letter of intent for Ball State last year, but his accomplishments in high school warrants the attention.

He won Hoosier Heritage Conference and sectional championships and state rankings. 

Mann is waiting patiently for his turn to be the starting quarterback, whenever that time comes. 

Standing on the field after a finally warm day of spring practice, Mann quietly said what he hopes to accomplish by the time he leaves Ball State. 

“I just want to win a ball game,” he said.

A quiet answer for a quiet Mann.