Firefighters extinguish house fire near Ball State

Muncie firefighters respond to a fire at 1513 N. Woodridge Ave. A cooking fire spread from the kitchen up the stove ventilation to the attic. The owner of the house was sent to Ball Memorial Hospital for potential smoke inhalation and burns from the grease fire. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Muncie Fire and Rescue was dispatched to 1513 N. Woodridge Ave. at 12:30 p.m., responding to a house fire near Ball State. 

Lt. Jim Hopper of the Muncie Fire Department reported that the fire originated in the kitchen, moving heavy smoke and flame into the attic of the house through the stove ventilation. A grease fire while cooking is the reported cause.

“The fire was basically knocked out within 5 minutes,” Hopper said.

The department used two entry points to contain the fire, one through a garage access and the other through breaking open an attic vent on the side of the house above the garage.

“It’s a lot better to fight something like this that we can get under control quickly than a large blaze,” said Hopper.

Three occupants were in the house at the time of the fire. Ball State student Trey Childress, his younger brother Kaedon Childress and their grandmother Sherry Lee all made it out of the house safely.

Trey said Lee, who had been trying to put out the fire when units responded, was taken to Ball Memorial Hospital for potential smoke inhalation and burns from the grease fire.

“I’m just glad everyone is ok for the most part,” Trey said.