FASHION FIX: To splurge or not to splurge

DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION COREY OHLENKAMP
DN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION COREY OHLENKAMP

To splurge or not to splurge, that is the question. As broke college students, we are usually scrounging up change just to buy dinner. Most students would rather have an extra Jimmy John’s sandwich a week than save that money — except me, I would gladly eat PB&Js all week if it means new clothes. 

Now is the time to start building the staples of your wardrobe because after college, the expenses and bills will only increase. So what is worth the hard-earned money and what can you spend a couple bucks on?

Things to splurge on:

Handbags 

Every woman should have one classic, brand name handbag. While cheap handbags are cute and fun, an expensive handbag will last a lifetime. Brand name purses are well made with better fabrics and materials and look stylish and polished. Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch are my current preferences, but there are some less expensive options. Brand name purses may seem too expensive, but they are worth every penny considering how often they will be used. Plus, an inexpensive outfit looks costly the moment you add an expensive handbag. 

Everyday jewelry 

If you plan to wear an item everyday, it is worth the splurge. Watches are both timeless and trendy; they never go out of style. Whether your budget allows Fossil, Michael Kors or Rolex, the watch is worth the money. One day last summer, I spontaneously headed to Nordstrom and bought a rose gold Marc Jacobs watch. Hands down, best purchase I’ve ever made. There isn’t a day I don’t get complimented on that bad boy, maybe because I never take it off. 

A classic pair of jeans 

Jeans are a staple item of almost everyone’s wardrobe. They can be dressed up or down and are appropriate for most casual events. A more expensive pair of jeans will fade and tatter less; cheap jeans get stretched out more easily, meaning more washing and drying and more wear and tear. Boot cut or straight cut, dark jeans are definitely classic styles to splurge on; however, I splurge on skinny jeans because I wear them daily. Also, if you stick with a classic brand like Levi or Ralph Lauren, they are likely to continue making that style for a while, meaning you can buy that style consistently when you find the perfect fit. 

A suit

Weddings, funerals and interviews are all inevitable life events that call for the dreaded suit and tie. After college, there will be many occasions for a suit, so bite the bullet and splurge on it now. Opt for a classic black suit, then you can spice it up with a collared shirt or blouse underneath. 

Things not to splurge on:

Trendy tops

Yes, skulls, spikes and crop tops are in, but for how much longer? If you are keen with staying up on trends, stick with Forever 21 or the sale rack at Urban Outfitters. No, the clothes won’t stand the test of time, but they will last as long as the trend. You don’t want to spend a lot of cash on an item you can only wear for a season. 

Distressed jeans

If it looks like it’s from Goodwill, it’s not worth more a couple dollars. Stores are rakin’ in the dough, by reselling ‘80s denim that they add a little bleach or dye to. Don’t fall for it! If you want distressed high-waisted shorts or jeans, head to a local thrift store and make it a DIY project. The online tutorials make DIY distressed denim as easy and cheap as making mac ‘n’ cheese. 

Statement jewelry

Chunky statement jewelry is a great addition to any wardrobe, but only at the right price. When you wear a blingy necklace, it is the focal point of your outfit, meaning you can’t overwear it. You know that one girl that owns one cute necklace and wears it every time she goes out? She always leaves you wondering if she owns another item of jewelry. Don’t be that girl. Buy cheaper statement pieces so you can have multiple colors and styles. 

A Little Black Dress

It’s written in the female rulebook that every woman must have an unreasonably expensive little black dress, right? Wrong. Little black dresses are everywhere. No matter the season or year, the little black dress will always be in style and available to buy. I own multiple LBDs, most of which I bought on sale. If you see a cheap LBD you love, buy it! You will find an occasion for it and avoid buying an expensive LBD under stress and necessity the day before a party or date.