CEO gives students business advice

CEO Jeffrey Fetters addresses students in the Whitinger Business Building on April 24. Fetters discussed the opportunities afforded to him by his Ball State education that got him the where he was. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

The CEO of Federated Insurance Companies told students to know their values and search for them in a company when looking for a job after graduation.

“Know what is important to you and find a company that matches up,” Jeffrey Fetters said.

During his presentation on Wednesday, Fetters discussed how core principles and values make a business successful. 

Although the presentation was geared towards business students, some attendees felt all majors could learn something. 

“I think a lot of the things he said can apply to any major,” said Cameron Warnick, a junior telecommunications major. “You definitely want to know your own values and principles and you would want to match them up with the company you want to work with.” 

Fetters, who graduated with an accounting degree from Ball State, started his career in the Federated Insurance Companies in 1980 as a marketing representative in Valparaiso, Ind. He now is a marketer to director of field operations. In 2012, Fetters was appointed chairman. 

“I take great pride in the Federated organization,” Fetters said. “We have the finest distribution system and employees in the industry. We are fortunate to work at Federated at a time of great financial stability and opportunity. I look forward to the coming years and the great things we will achieve together.”  

Fetters also said the founding fathers gave Americans rights and opportunity but did not guarantee success. 

“The presentation gave business students a look into what could happen if you really try to succeed, since he is the CEO of a company and graduated from Ball State,” said Rebekah DeVries, a junior accounting major. “You are not limited to what your major is when it comes to possible careers.”