Ball State beats Chicago State, remains unbeaten in MAC play

Senior Cliff Morrison returns the Northern Illinois volley on April 6 as senior Dalton Albertin looks on. Morrison and Albertin defeated their Northern Illinois opponents 8-6. DN FILE PHOTO ANDREW KELLY

After a 7-0 win over Chicago State at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center on Sunday, Ball State still has a perfect record in Mid-American Conference play. 

Ball State easily took care of the visitors with the sweep as the closet matches came during doubles play to start the match. 

At No. 1 doubles, Chicago State’s pairing of Sergiu Muresan and Mario Noboa defeated Ball State’s pairing of Imanol Arconada and Alexandre Brym 9-7. That would be the lone victory for Chicago State in the match. 

The two other Ball State doubles teams, Dalton Albetin and Austin Sansone at No. 2 and Patrick Elliott and Austin Smith at No. 3, both won their matches, 8-6 and 8-4, respectively. 

By winning two doubles matches, Ball State took the doubles point to start the match 1-0.

The Cardinals swept the singles competition easily, with the closest match coming at No. 4 singles in a match up between Brym and Jean Paul Jones. Brym defeated Jones 6-1, 6-2. 

In the singles competition overall, Ball State had four scores of 6-0 and six scores of 6-1 to win at all six positions. 

It’s is the third consecutive win for Ball State, and eight wins in the last nine matches. The lone loss came on April 1 against then-No. 27 Notre Dame. The team’s record in the MAC is now 4-0.

Ball State has one match remaining — on the road against Buffalo — before the start of the MAC Championship in DeKalb, Ill., on April 25-27.