Actors won’t stop believin’ in ‘Rock of Ages’ at Emens

The cast of “Rock of Ages” strikes a pose during a performance. The show is built around the glam metal bands of the 1980s. PHOTO PROVIDED BY KATE EGAN

Dominique Scott has always been a rocker at heart. His father was the lead guitarist in a band called Hollow Spirit, and he grew up listening to rock music. In college, Scott started his own rock band, Domin8trx, which successfully recorded and toured their debut album “Carousel.”

Tonight, Scott takes the John R. Emens Auditorium stage as Drew in “Rock of Ages.” The musical takes place on Los Angeles’ Sunset Strip in the 1980s and tells the love story of a small town girl and a big city rocker. 

“The musical is based off the song ‘Don’t Stop Believin’’ by Journey. It’s about a small town girl living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere,” Scott said. “It’s a story about these two young kids trying to make their way through life, find their dreams and figure out what they want.”

Scott said he was rehearsing for another show when he received a text message about auditioning for a spot on the “Rock of Ages” touring cast. He was originally cut after the first round of auditions, but after creating a performance video at home and sending it to the casting director, he was asked to come back and was eventually given a spot.

“I’ve always been doing the whole rock thing and it was a coincidence that ‘Rock of Ages’ came along,” he said. “It’s a perfect blend of my theater life and rock life.” 

Although it’s a musical, the show also has the feel of a rock concert.

“There’s a live band on the stage just rocking out. There’s smoke, fog, moving lights and lasers. It’s a spectacle,” he said. “It’s the most fun you will have at a live theater event.”

Elizabeth Bolinger, a junior at DeKalb High School from Auburn, Ind., is visiting Ball State not just for a preview day but to also see “Rock of Ages” for the eighth time. She describes the show as “nothin’ but a good time.”

“The show itself is special. You usually don’t go to the theater to see ‘80s hair metal and girls on poles, but that is what makes ‘Rock Of Ages’ what it is,” she said. “It is a crazy fun show from start to finish that either has me on the edge of my seat or out of it dancing, no matter how many times I see it.”

Bolinger said she has traveled to places like Chicago, Bloomington and South Bend to see the musical. She said the audience should not be surprised if the musical becomes one of their favorite shows. 

“It is rock and comedy in epic proportions and it is impossible to resist,” she said. 

Ball State senior creative writing and English education major Morgan Smith said she is excited to see the show after growing up listening to the same type of music.

“I know every song, and I’ve seen a lot of the bands that [inspired the show] in concert,” she said. “My taste in music has always made me feel like I was born in the wrong time. I’m an ‘80s addict; as soon as ‘Rock of Ages’ debuted, I knew I had to see it.”

With semester finals approaching very soon, Smith said she is using the musical as a good excuse to take a break from the end-of-the-semester stress.

“[The musical] is going to attract a very specific crowd, people like me from the wrong generation, and people who loved that music when it was new,” she said. “Either way, everyone there will have similar interests. It’s like a community audience, so I expect to experience a really fun show with a really fun crowd.”

Despite rock music not being as mainstream as it once was, Scott said this musical has something for everyone to enjoy whether or not they love the music.

“If you grew up listening to these tunes, it’s going to be a great walk down memory lane. If you’re hearing them for the first time, you will love them,” he said. “One of the best parts of our show is the music, and it’s the best music of the Eighties.”

“Rock of Ages” will be at Emens Auditorium tonight for a one-night performance. In addition to the popular Journey hit, audience members will hear other classic rock songs such as: “The Final Countdown,” “Wanted Dead or Alive” and “Here I Go Again.”