WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State blown out in regular season finale by Toledo

Cardinals secure No. 2 seed with Central Michigan win

Junior guard Brandy Woody pushes past Toledo's Andola Dortch during their game March 6 at Savage Arena. Woody was fouled out in the second half for her 5 personal against Toledo. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKANEK

Ball State had an up and down Wednesday night.

The good news is the women’s basketball team clinched the No. 2 seed in the MAC Tournament in Cleveland when Central Michigan defeated Eastern Michigan.

The bad news is in its season finale, Ball State was blown out by nationally-ranked No. 25 Toledo, 63-39. The Rockets swept Ball State this season, also winning in Worthen Arena on Feb. 10.

Toledo opened the game on a 10-0 run, but Ball State responded with its own 10-0 run.

“They jumped on us, we made a little bit of a run,” Ball State coach Brady Sallee said. “Then the well went dry.”

Once the score was tied at 10, Toledo went on a 26-4 run to end the first half.

Nothing changed in the second half.

Ball State almost beat Toledo at home on Feb. 10 but fell short by four points. Sallee said the difference in the game was Wednesday’s game was at Toledo.

“You have to be special to win on the road,” Sallee said. “We were anything but that tonight.”

Ball State’s leading scorer was, yet again, Nathalie Fontaine. The freshman scored 18 points and added 8 rebounds.

Fontaine had 32 total points in two meetings against the Rockets.

Despite Fontaine’s scoring, Ball State shot just 27 percent against Toledo’s No. 1 ranked MAC defense.

Sophomore Brittany Carter had an especially poor night shooting. She went 1-of-10 from the field, and 0-of-5 from 3-point range.

Ball State will hold the No. 2 seed in the MAC Tournament, and gets a bye to the semifinals on Friday, March 15.