WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Ball State travels to play MAC East-leading Akron

Zips lead MAC in scoring

Despite the feelings after Sunday’s loss to Toledo, Ball State’s season isn’t over. The women’s basketball team will try to rebound tonight against Akron.

Akron is riding high on a four-game winning streak after losing three straight to Western Michigan, Toledo and Central Michigan. It has beaten Bowling Green, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan and Miami (OH) to rise to the top of the MAC East.

Despite the loss to Toledo, Ball State is still tied for second place in the MAC West.

Ball State’s defense will be heavily tested tonight. Akron tops the chart in nearly every offensive category, including field goal percentage free throw percentage and assists.

The Zips are averaging over 75 points per game, more than 15 points more than the Cardinals.

Akron has won its games by an average of ten points per game, but that shouldn’t mean much to Ball State. Toledo won its games by a much wider margin, then Ball State kept the game within four.

Akron forward Rachel Tecca leads not only her team in scoring, but the entire Mid-American Conference also. Tecca is averaging 18.9 points per game on 55 percent shooting. She is also making almost five free throws per game.

Charged with not only defending her but also keeping up with her scoring for Ball State will be freshman Nathalie Fontaine. Fontaine is averaging 13.2 points per game, leading the Cardinals.

However, Akron has two more players that are outscoring Fontaine. Sinna King and Hanna Luburgh are outscoring Fontaine, and are also in the MAC’s top five in scoring.

Beating Central Michigan two games ago was a big step in securing Ball State’s place at the top of the MAC’s leaderboards, but beating Akron on the road could prove to be an even bigger challenge.