Presidents discuss platforms in SGA debate

The SGA slate presidents discuss a number of issues including student involvements and media relations as part of their presidential debates Monday Feb. 11 at the Student Center ballroom. The Vice presidential debate will occur today. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Student Government Association presidential candidates were asked to answer what SGA Debate Coordinator Zach Hartley called the big question, “Why are you better for the job than the other candidates?”

Perspective SGA slate presidential candidates met in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom for the first official debate and were questioned to defend their slate’s platform points as well as scrutinize their competition’s ideas Monday.  

Hartley echoed what Cardinal United presidential candidate Zeyne Guzeldereli said in his closing statement — that he had heard a lot of false promises and vague ideas.

“Some people think that unrealistic expectations are set,” he said. “I would not hesitate to say that all three of the slates think it, but it has been put out there now that false promises are being made. Students really need to look at these platforms and ask if this is a realistic goal.”

Opening remarks from each candidate were a two minute, abridged version of the importance of their campaign. 

Cardinal United’s presidential candidate Guzeldereli said he is interested in listening to students most of all. 

“We can talk about our viewpoints, but what we are really interested in is [the students’] point of view, the problems you have faced on the campus and the changes you would have wanted to see implemented,” he said.

SGA from Ball State Student Media on Vimeo.

Alex Sventeckis, Fusion presidential candidate, said his slate is focused on making a change for students as well as bringing pride in being a Cardinal. 

Spark’s presidential candidate Malachi Randolph said he wanted to talk about what his slate is passionate about: safety, pride, academics, relationships and community.

The debate began to heat up when candidates were asked to explain the most important point of their platform.

Sventeckis said, if elected, Fusion plans to provide more opportunity for leaders of campus organizations to connect their ideas and find ways for them to accomplish their goals. Also, he looks to help bolster membership of organizations by holding more activity fairs.  

Randolph said he believes students are focused on safety, and his slate is looking to answer those concerns by creating a Blue Light mobile app. He said this would allow students who feel they are in danger to give police their location and activate their cell phone’s video and audio. 

“Safety [is important], not just in the way SGA senators think about it,” Randolph said. “It is something that students around campus believe is a problem.” 

Guzeldereli said his most important plan would be to imprint on every student’s ID one guest pass to a sporting event in order to raise attendance at sporting events. He said it is important to allow those who have never had that experience to get one free chance. 

Sventeckis said he plans to focus on the foundations or the promises that were made to Ball State students when they first stepped onto campus. One of the examples Fusion gave was to enhance Ball State’s wireless network to extend further and be more reliable.  

Several platform points were introduced tonight, allowing slates to show students the ways they plan to implement their ideas.

Guzeldereli said another proposed idea he is hoping to enact is working to extend the current Blue Loop as well as create a Purple Loop to cater to the southern side of off-campus students. 

Randolph focused on his existing relationships with a broad base of both student leaders and faculty members that would allow him and his executive board to contact those who would be able to enact the policies he hopes to create. 

Sventeckis introduced his plan to create sorority housing, a plan he was asked about specifically by an audience member. He agreed this is a plan that would require the coordination of several groups, as well as full support of faculty.

“It will be a long term project but that is no reason to avoid getting the ball rolling,” he said.