4 Spring Break road trips for the procrastinating planner

As college students, we are notorious for procrastination — even when it comes to that week we’ve all been counting down since we came back from Winter Break. If you haven’t planned anything yet for Spring Break 2013, no worries. Here are some road trips, that we’ve already planned for you. All you need is a car, a couple friends and an awesome road trip playlist (we suggest our Spotify mix). 

The Midwest Triangle: For the city nut

If you’re a city person, check out some of the best the Midwest has to offer. Start off exploring the Crossroads of America, swing over to Gateway to the West and end your adventure in the Windy City. Here are three things do in each city, or wing it and plan your own.

Indianapolis

Indianapolis Zoo – After limited hours throughout the winter, the zoo is back to being open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily starting Friday.

Mass Ave Arts District – Head here for food from around the world. Try some Mediterranean cuisine at Aesop’s Tables Café or enjoy traditional German food (and beer!) at the Rathskeller.

Museums – Be a kid again at the Children’s Museum, discover American Indian and Western Art at the Eiteljorg or check out the paintings at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. 

St. Louis

The Gateway Arch – You can’t leave St. Louis without going up inside the infamous arch.

Anheuser Busch Brewery Tour – Two words: free beer. If you’re under 21 you can still go, you just won’t be able to do any taste testing. Did I mention it’s free?

Chicago

Millenium Park – Take a picture in by the Bean, and then go ice skating at the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink.

Navy Pier – A Ferris Wheel, carousel and putt-putt course. What more could you ask for?

Shedd Aquarium – After checking out the sea life, you can head over to the Adler Planetarium or Field museum of Natural History.

For the music lover

Whether you’re a fan of country, soul, classical or rock ’n’ roll, you can explore it all as you hit up some of America’s most quintessential cities for music.

Nashville

Grand Ole Opry House – Take a tour of country music’s most famous stage.

Country Music Hall of Fame – Explore the history of country music with exhibits on artists ranging from Patsy Cline to Taylor Swift.

Bluebird café – Plan to make reservations ahead of time to experience the unplugged songwriters at the Bluebird. 

Memphis

Graceland – Elvis fans can’t leave Memphis without touring the home of The King. 

Sun Studio – Check out the birthplace of rock ’n’ roll; the first rock ’n’ roll single was recorded here in 1951. 

Stax Museum of American Soul Music – Once home to Stax Records and headlining artists such as Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin, the site is now the only soul music museum in the world.

Cleveland

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – It doesn’t get any better than this for rock lovers with exhibits on artists like The Beatles, U2 and Grateful Dead.

The Cleveland Orchestra – Take a break from country and rock with one of the nation’s top five orchestras.

Bon Jovi Concert – End the trip with a Bon Jovi concert at Quickens Loan Arena on March 9. 

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail takes you to seven distilleries known for crafting the finest bourbon. At each location you’ll receive a stamp to put on your Trail passport, which once completed will earn you a free t-shirt. General tours are free and offer tastings at the under (for the of age folks). The distilleries can be visited in any order you choose. 

Four Roses Distillery – 1224 Bonds Mill Road, Lawrenceburg, Ken.

Heaven Hill Distilleries – 1064 Loretto Road, Bardstown, Ken.

Jim Beam Distillery – 149 Happy Hollow Road, Sheperdsville, Ken.

Maker’s Mark Distillery – 3350 Burk Spring Road, Loretto Ken.

Wild Turkey Distillery – 1525 Tyrone Road, Lawrenceburg, Ken.

Woodford Reserve Distillery – 7855 McCracken pike, Versailles, Ken.

For the Nature Lover – The Eastern Route

Grab your backpacks, water bottles, and hiking shoes, and get ready for a week of exploring the great outdoors. Whether you’re underground or above it, take in some of these natural beauties. 

Mammoth Cave, Ken.

The park is home to the longest known cave system in the world. Choose from one of nine cave tours.

Ruby Falls, Chattanooga, Tenn.

Deep within Lookout Mountain, lies a thundering 145-foot waterfall. 

Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Blount, Tenn.

The nation’s most visited national park offers more than 800 miles of hiking trails exploring the park’s wildlife, waterfalls and famed wildflowers.

Blue Ridge Parkway, Lowgap, N.C.

While some sections of the 469-mile parkway are closed, a good stretch in the middle is still open this time of year. Take in the scenery while driving, or hop out along some areas to do some hiking.