Students to compete in billards championship

Nadeem Nooristani, a senior international student, practices pool after winning first place in a local tournament. He will now advance to the Association of College Unions International Collegiate 9-ball Championships this weekend. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BETH SWARY

Billiards or pool — a game of many names — is a sport that requires more forte than basic geometry. Nadeem Nooristani, a senior international student from Afghanistan, said he knows a little something about the game. 

“It is something I am very passionate about,” Nooristani said I practiced. I got better, and better, like any sport.” 

Jace Harlow, a Ball State student, came in second at the local tournament that advanced him and Nooristani to the championship. 

The Association of College Unions International Collegiate 9-ball Championships is the next step for the Ball State competitors. The tournament will be held at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign Friday through Sunday. 

Nine-ball is a game similar to standard pool, except they use only the first nine balls. These balls are set up in a diamond formation, as opposed to a traditional triangle, on a standard pool table. Using the cue ball, the object of the game is to legally pocket the nine ball.

Jon Shields, the Cardinal Lanes Supervisor, is also going down to support the two competitors. 

“I think Nadeem has experience,” Shields said. “He did it last year. He can show Jace the ropes.”

Scott Savage, ACUI tournament chairman, announced more information about the event on the ACUI’s website. The event will include men’s and women’s singles 9-ball, men’s and women’s singles table tennis, two-person team bags, and two-person Euchre, according to the website. 

Both Ball State participants are expected to have a great outcome with their participation in the tournament. Shields said they are both trophy worthy. 

“I think [Nooristani] has a good shot to do well. Some of winners from last year have graduated,” Shields said.

Nooristani said he has been practicing both in the U.S. and in Afghanistan. However, he plays a game called Snooker in Afghanistan. Snooker is similar to pool, but Nooristani said the table is larger — twice as big as a pool table — and there are different rules.  

Nooristani said he is not nervous at all.

“I am looking forward to, well, representing Ball State by winning this competition,” he said.