Studebaker East rededication ceremony marks end of strategic plan

One of the last steps in Ball State’s Education Redefined Strategic Plan and mission to revitalize campus came to a close Wednesday afternoon. 

Students, faculty and community members gathered for the Studebaker East Complex rededication ceremony, nearly three months after it reopened to students.

Alan Hargrave, associate vice president for Student Affairs and director of Housing and Residence Life, welcomed attendants to the ceremony and spoke of the history of the building. 

The complex is named after Mark E. Studebaker, who was one of the first four business education professors at Ball State, and he served as a faculty member for 36 years. 

“As we gather today, we not only recognize generations of students who called Stu East home but we also honor a man who was one of this university’s faculty leaders,” Hargrave said. “We celebrate the features that make this residence hall a truly modern faculty.” 

The renovation of the building comes at the end of a decade-long effort to revitalize campus buildings, based on input from students. This effort was part of the implementation of the Education Redefined Strategic Plan, which is now complete. 

To fulfill that initiative, the new Studebaker East includes a large multipurpose room, conference rooms, a computer lab, music practice room, common laundry space and a fitness room. About 430 students are housed in the residence hall’s air-conditioned double rooms on eight floors. 

Kay Bales, vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, said the renovation represents larger changes in Ball State’s students and on campus. 

“It is important to us that students feel pride in our campus and experience firsthand the priority we place on student’s quality of life at the university,” she said. 

Bales said the renovation of Studebaker East had three significant goals. 

She said, first, as the home of the International and Languages Living-Learning Community, it will help to attract international students. The building was remodeled to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification (LEED) standards, to further demonstrate the serious approach Ball State takes toward climate neutrality. Bales said the final goal involves the vibrant energy of the complex will serve as a model for future residence halls and attract bright, creative students. 

Student member of the Board of Trustees Michael Miller closed the ceremony, speaking on behalf of the Board to his experience in Studebaker East when he was a freshman. 

“As I moved my belongings out at the end of my freshman year I never imagined myself standing here four years later,” he said. “While the physical appearance has changed, the feeling that comes about from it is still the same. It’s a feeling that gets to the heart of what we are doing at Ball State, it’s a reminder students always come first. The friendships and memories I built in these walls I will never forget.”

After the ceremony, resident assistants gave guided tours of the building. 

Senior nursing major Stephanie Burris, who is an RA for the building, said Studebaker East has a positive environment. 

“I would definitely say this is nicer [than where I have been an RA in the past]; it has its own unique qualities like the lounges and open kitchen areas,” she said. “It will help foster communities with the residents.”

Junior legal studies major Dairick Wade is also an RA in Studebaker East. He agreed with Burris and said the building has been well-received. 

“All the residents love the building, it fosters a community,” Wade said. “A lot of students socialize in the lounges and we have programs in the lounges. It really does create a great community for students.”