Severe flooding causes several road closings

Water pools at the corner of Neely and New York avenues after steady rain took place over the weekend. Below-freezing temperatures are set to freeze much of the water that has been settling into low lying areas around campus. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENAKMP

After a weekend of heavy rainfall, county officials are advising residents to avoid flooded roadways and bridges. 

Several roadways and bridges have been deemed impassable, according to a release issued by Delaware County Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Angie Moyer, project director from the Delaware County Engineering Department, said the county is monitoring all 11 “scour” bridges located in Delaware County. 

Bridges are being closed after the water reaches concerning levels, and the county will reinspect the bridges after the water recedes. 

According to the National Weather Service, much of Central Indiana and Southern Indiana received 1 to 1.5 inches of rainfall early Friday morning and 2 to 3 inches from Saturday to Sunday morning. 

Motorists should avoid flooded roads and never drive into flood water.