Central Ind. hit with subzero temperatures

Senior Tara Carte walks by the construction zone outside of the Teacher's College on Monday. Temperature dropped to their lowest point in two years on Monday, reaching down to 14 degrees at times. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

After previously mild winter weather, chilly temperatures are expected this week, bringing in the coldest weather so far this season. 

Several Indiana counties, including Delaware County, are under a wind chill advisory until 11 a.m. today, according to the National Weather Service.

The arrival of an arctic air mass will likely bring the coldest temperatures in two years to Indiana, with wind chills of 10 to 20 below zero expected. 

A week ago, temperatures for central Indiana were around 29 degrees with a low of 24.

Today’s high is expected to be near 10 degrees, according to the NWS, and wind chill values could be as low as minus 18 degrees.

A wind chill advisory means that very cold air will combine to generate low wind chills. Weather this severe could cause frost bite and hypothermia if proper precautions aren’t taken. 

Local school districts have announced weather-related delays, including both Jay County Schools, Shenandoah Schools and Muncie Community Schools.

The NWS advises those that must travel outside to wear a hat and gloves to prevent weather related injuries. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention encourages anyone who detects any symptoms of frostbite, which include a white or grayish-yellow skin area, numbness and skin that feels firm or waxy, to seek medical attention immediately.