University Program Board to offer finals week stress solutions

Mechanical bulls, obstacle courses and belly dancers will be available to help students ease stress for finals week.

The University Program Board will host the activities at “Don’t Sweat It” from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday at the basketball courts in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. 

Senior Danielle Curnutte, program director for the event, has gathered several opportunities for students to take advantage of before finals approach.

“We’ve noticed that students are really into fitness right now, and we want to use that in a positive way for them to be able to relieve their stress through exercise in various activities,” Curnutte said.

Attractions include an obstacle course, Zumba events, a DJ and five free prizes.

The Counseling Center will also be present to give students anti-stress tips.

Ball State University Dance Marathon will also be participating at the event, performing a dance and teaching interested students.

Senior Austin Lee, president of Ball State University Dance Marathon, said his organization jumped at the chance to help out UPB and students.

“I think the dancing is great. I think it’s just the way that it gets you active and gets your mind off upcoming exams,” Lee said. “It’s definitely something different compared to what else has been done on campus.”

Junior Bridget Hartman, president of the Ball State Belly Dance Club, will be participating in the event with her organization.

“For most of the members, it’s a chance for them to get away from the homework,” Hartman said. “Since the music is really fun and upbeat, you can’t help but smile and laugh.”

The Ball State Belly Dance Club will perform two dances and demonstrate moves to students afterward at the event.

“I think they need to do more of this, because it gives students a chance to meet new people and see new things,” Hartman said. “For example, belly dancing isn’t really that popular, so it’s different. It can open your eyes to some of the other things on this campus.”

Senior Nate Cox, who hangs out with friends or plays video games to relieve stress, said the creative ideas at the event could work.

“It lets people have some fun and forget that there’s that other stuff going that they have to worry about,” Cox said. “It lets them let loose and relax.”

Curnutte highly encourages students to use the event, and other events UPB is offering, to relax and relieve stress during finals week.

“Come out with your friends and enjoy two hours of working out or riding a mechanical bull or something,” Curnutte said. “You’re still burning off all that stress doing something like that.”