Three thoughts from Ball State's 38-17 loss

Bortles impressive in Central Florida victory

Central Florida Running Back Latavius Murray gains yardage after blowing past Ball States defense at the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg, Florida on Dec. 21. The score leading into the half is 28-17 DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Three thoughts from Ball State's loss in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl

Final score: Central Florida 38, Ball State 10

Blake Bortles impressive against Ball State defense

While running back Latavius Murray is the focus of the Central Florida offense, quarterback Blake Bortles made easy work of Ball State's defense all game long. Bortles consistently had plenty of time to sit in the pocket and scan his wide receivers and was able to scramble to either extend the play or run the ball. He easily avoided any pressure Ball State could get on him and even juked lineman Brandon Newman on his sack attempt. Bortles finished the game with 271 and three touchdown passes. He also ran for a touchdown that involved overpowering linebacker Travis Freeman on his way to the end zone.

Central Florida shuts down Ball State offense        

Ball State came into the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl averaging 35 points per game on the season. Central Florida would only allow Ball State to score 17 points in the game. The Knights' secondary did an excellent job of covering Ball State's wide receivers, holding Jamill Smith quiet the entire game. The defensive line was also able to get pressure on quarterback Keith Wenning, getting sacks and tipping several passes at the line of scrimmage. The only touchdowns for Ball State came when Wenning was able to find wide receiver Willie Snead for seven and 16-yard touchdown passes.

Crowd at Tropicana Field heavily favored Central Florida

Central Florida fans only had to make a two hour drive from its campus to Tropicana Field, which made for a home game feel for the team. Of the 21,759 fans in attendance, more than half were wearing black and gold and let themselves be heard throughout the game. Ball State did have a decent showing of fans and students that made the trip to St. Petersburg, Fla., but were easily drowned out by the Central Florida fans. Central Florida used the atmosphere to its advantage and scored on three of its first four possessions to put early pressure on Ball State.